Best flashlight

My local Costco yesterday had a two pack of 1 Watt CREE LED's for about $30. 3 AAA batteries. Two brightness levels, 160 lumens on high! I'm debating going back to get a pair. It's not on Costco's website so I'm guessing it's a one time deal that will be gone soon. Heck it may not even be in every store.

Chris, I am looking with something for a little more punch, ;) but that's a good low budget option. Gafftaper, I might go to Costco tomorrow. They might have it. I'll look at it. Thanks for the suggestions.

The Phoenix. Hands down. It might be more than 80, though, but it is worth it. I can light up my entire 700 seat theatre with one, or I can tune the power down to read cues during a show.

The Phoenix. Hands down. It might be more than 80, though, but it is worth it. I can light up my entire 700 seat theatre with one, or I can tune the power down to read cues during a show.

If we are comparing sizes, i can knock a grown man blind with mine, and then turn his face to pulp with the strike bezels, but whos counting... ;)

I have a Fenix tk11 with the Cree R2 Led, It's Bright and it's small. Small enough to lose though.. Which mine is Currently MIA.

I also have a Black AA Mini-mag with a homebrew LED conversion.

For a headlamp I have a Petzl Tikka. Its a high quality basic headlamp that doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

Ah... Something like a Phoebus Combat Flashlight?

Best,
John

Surefire E2D LED Defender Flashlight - E2DL-BK for personal use, walking around and the like
Surefire 6P® LED Defender® in my tool belt. This one never goes anywhere not hooked into the tools. I like surefire products quite a bit and trust them for a lot of things. A bit shy on the battery life, however, although it makes sense because the lights are really quite bright.

I also have a mini-mag LED and a full size Mag light with like 3? or so d cells. Both of the Mags have blue gels mounted directly to the glass. These both live at work.

Last edited:
Hey guys. So I was cleaning my room yesterday and I noticed that I have some Dick's Sporting Goods gift cards that hadn't been spent. I was at Dick's the other day and I looked at their selection of flashlights in the camping section. They had the regular and led mini mags, but then when I got home I looked at their website and found this. I liked it when I looked at it, but do you think that this one could be used for my purposes?

That looks very similar to the Fenix TK10 that I have. Fenix's homepages It's the brightest flashlight I've ever seen. I lit up bleachers in a football stadium from the opposite side once, with lumens to spare. An amazing flash light.

My local Costco yesterday had a two pack of 1 Watt CREE LED's for about $30. 3 AAA batteries. Two brightness levels, 160 lumens on high! I'm debating going back to get a pair. It's not on Costco's website so I'm guessing it's a one time deal that will be gone soon. Heck it may not even be in every store.

Went back to Costco and picked up a pair of these. They are OUTSTANDING. Two for $30. Just got the latest coupons in the mail and during one week this month they are going to be running a special of two for $20 (no coupon needed). On low it's about as bright as my AA Mag LED. On high it Kicks some serious Butt. Pretty good construction. Only negative I've found is it has a Strobe mode. Which makes if fun for mini-raves but kind of dangerous to potentially go off during a show. Check it out.

I think I am gonna go with the flashlight I saw at dicks. If it doesn't work like I think it will I will just return it. I am going with this flahlight because I don't have much money besides dicks giftcards. Thank you all for your suggestions.

I am impressed with the Costco flashlight as well! I need to go back and pick up another set apparently because they were only half the price that both of you paid. They were listed as $20 at my Costco with a $5 instant rebate. They sound like the exact same ones, 160 lumens with three modes: Half Power, Full Power, and Strobe. Mine are branded as TechLite Lumen Master. Another feature that I love about it is that it is focusable to an extent. Easily worth the price even if they don't last a long time.

Has anyone tried out/bought the LED Maglite XL100 yet? I saw it the other day at Home Depot for about $40 and I must say it looked interesting.

Well Costco is back at it with the TechLite Flashlights. This time it's a 3 pack for $20 WITH Duracel AAA's! It's got a CREE XPE LED source. 150 lumens. It doesn't say how many watts, but it's significantly brighter and whiter than the one I posted above last year. Not on the Costco website, so it's apparently a one time purchase. I see only three things that could be considered negatives. Can't put a gel in it, but it's so bright that would be silly anyway. Short battery life. It has a 1 hour life on high and 4 hours on low. And it has a strobe function which is not so great back stage. It has a four click cycle: low, high, STROBE, off. If you use it back stage you have to pay attention and cover it if you don't want to start a Rave. I carry both my old AA Mag with gel in the lens for work in the dark and this for serious fire power.

Combine it with one of these Night Ize holsters and you are set! The great thing about that holster is it clips on and rotates. You can actually turn the flashlight on and rotate it into position to work hands free from your hip. I love mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it this one?
!CFQtk6g!Wk~$(KGrHqZ,!lQE1F6J!Mg-BNUf83hpeQ~~0_12.JPG

or this?
proxy.php

Last edited:
I love my Maglite LED XL100. Nice and bright outdoors or when needed in the theater but dims down via motion. Also has a strobe, nite lite (dims down when motion less, full bright if moved), signal (twist to turn on and off), and SOS. All settings are controlled by what position the flashlight is in when the power button is held down.

5 hours and 15 minutes on full, 201 hours on low, weather proof, and 1 meter shock resistance. Uses 3 AAA batteries.

Probably can find it at more places but I got mine at Home Depot.

I love the Surefire U2 I have (well i have 2, but one is sitting around with a popped front window), the E1e is a great clip in the pocket light, I am pretty fond of the HDS System lights, I have a Novatac, which is a similar design that was being made while HDS was taking a break.

My advice though, 4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com, David will do you right, excellent customer service.
Check out his own brand and Fenix, both great lights, mind the battery type they take though. CR123's are pricey for the average user, if you are willing to invest in them, they are a great choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back