Best followspot for ~$700?

nichkwon

Hi guys,
My church is having a concert at the end of this month (yeah, it's kind of late to be getting a followspot).
We need a followspot that throws up to 55' to help 10 PAR56 (or 64, not sure) illuminate the guest speaker.
It will also be used to assist in flooding the stage red, and to focus on certain musicians during praise.
I was considering purchasing two of these ($350 ea on amazon)
Products » LED Followspot 75ST | CHAUVET® Lighting
but each only puts out 140 lux at 50' (that's not enough, right?).
So can you guys suggest me a cheap, $350 followspot that I will use in a pair, or a better, single $700 followspot?
Thanks,
Nick

some other stuff i was looking at:
Elation 1000W Pro Followspot (Elation Pro FS 1000)
Times Square Cabaret 601 Followspot w/ Tripod Stand (Times Square 601S)

Yeah, we've considered it.
But we would have to rent it for a couple weeks so that our staff could practice using them.
We thought it would be better for us to just purchase them, since we would probably be using them at least four times a year.
Do you think we're better off just renting?

Absolutely renting is better. And it doesn't take that long to train with follow spots.

I spend a grand total of about 15 minutes training my middle school students on how to use follow spots. Most follow spots are easy enough to figure out, and it doesn't seem like you are going to be requiring very complicated movement. I would say rent for now until you find a model you really like and then save up. You will be much happier with the end product.

Follow spots tend to be point and shoot in that light goes where you point it. The only real training you need to focus on is being smooth, picking people up, and following.

Via tapatalk

If you are looking at something in the Altman Comet class, new price will be in the $1,500 range each. You might be able to strike a rent-to-own deal with your local supplier, or find something used for under $500 each.

The DJ/club level spots usually don't have enough output to really compete with a stage lighting system of any real power. If you're not brighter and/or bluer (whiter-looking) than the ambient stage lights, then you won't get much of a spotlight effect.

Maybe its just me, but I've always thought the small, club size or "mini" follow spots always look rather, shakey. Something about being that small, or maybe its just poorly balanced, seems to make them harder to control. Definitely don't rush into a decision, nichkwon, as I agree with footer. Find the best spot for your space, and then purchase that spot.

Should be fine. Start saving up now. Spots purchased correctly can last for decades.

Until this spring, I was using a pair of Altman Satillite I's, one was serial number 46 and one was serial number 243, I think. The spots are still in use, I'm just no longer welcome at that venue due to politics. I think that makes them 1970's vintage. Battleship gray paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back