Design Best gel colors for true CMY mixing??

leztid

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any gel color suggestions for pure Cyan, pure Magenta, and pure Yellow so I can get the best CMY color mixing options. The idea is to have three Pars, one C, one M, and one Y, focused to the same point to mix back to white.

Your going to get back to white REAL fast. If you want to do this, look at the Cal Color range in the rosco line. Select your saturation and go for it. I have lit shows with these colors. It actually works to a degree, but not like you would expect. For the show I did it with it got me a lot of tropical colors which is what I was going for. You can not use additive color mixing (RGB) though with subtractive colors (CMY) to get the same effect as subtractive color mixing in a moving light. What you actually get is the light quickly goes to white without mixing to anything at most intensity's.

Your going to get back to white REAL fast. If you want to do this, look at the Cal Color range in the rosco line. Select your saturation and go for it. I have lit shows with these colors. It actually works to a degree, but not like you would expect. For the show I did it with it got me a lot of tropical colors which is what I was going for. You can not use additive color mixing (RGB) though with subtractive colors (CMY) to get the same effect as subtractive color mixing in a moving light. What you actually get is the light quickly goes to white without mixing to anything at most intensity's.

CMY is not the way you want to go for additive. I agree with Footer. You want to go RGB for a full color range . You can't get Red, Green, or Blue (primaries) if you start with three secondaries. However you can blend to the secondaries if you start with primaries, so why limit your options? Best bet to find three that will blend is to contact the experts at the Gel companies. Sure- you can always eyeball it, but when you have the option to, why not call the Rep from Lee, Rosco, or Apollo and ask their advice on which particular gels they suggest?

I did a demo with a legacy product from our inventory along these lines. It was a gel changer, basically a remotely controlled boomerang, ala a spotlight. I don't remember what gels I used, unfortunately. But basically I found something along the lines of a 1/3 and 2/3 equivalent to cyan, yellow, and magenta. While on paper that would get you a giant pile of colors, we found that it really only got you 10 or 12 really useable interesting colors. Even using this method to get subtractive mixing out of a par, it wasn't terribly effective.

I'd do some playing around with 3 saturate colors, and see if you can find one by trial and error (or, as previously stated, just call your favorite gel manufacturer/supplier) that mixes to the white you're looking for.

Is this for a demo of subtractive color mixing, or for a project?

I was wondering if anyone had any gel color suggestions for pure Cyan, pure Magenta, and pure Yellow so I can get the best CMY color mixing options. The idea is to have three Pars, one C, one M, and one Y, focused to the same point to mix back to white.
As said above, this won't work. Use one fixture with a three-string (Morpheus ColorFader) or two-string (Apollo MXR / Wybron CXI) scroller instead.

However, if you're looking for pure primaries and secondaries, look to the Roscolux / Cinegel line:
#2005 is Storaro Cyan, and #4390, 4360, 4330, 4315, 4307 are 90, 60, 30, 15, and 7.5 percentages.
#2003 is Storaro Yellow, and #4590, 4560, 4530, 4515 ... " .
#2010 is Storaro Magenta, and #4790, 4760, 4730, 4715 ... " .
Storaro/CalColor are also available in Orange, Red, Pink, Lavender, Blue, Indigo, Violet, and Green.
Vittorio Storaro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Although originally developed/intended for film use, there's no law saying one can't use them in live entertainment lighting applications.
From Cinegel - rosco.com :
CalColor Filters
A patented system of pure primary & secondary colors, in gradient steps, for calibrated additive or subtractive color mixing. The AMPAS recognized CalColor with an Academy Award® for its unique ability to create pure, uncontaminated colors for camera.
Close, and more traditional: R95, R10, R46, but certainly aren't as pure.

I think the confusion here comes from the fact that movers have "CMY color mixing." One has to remember what is actually happening inside the light. There are three "flags", one each in C,Y, and M. Each of these flags starts out white at one end and as it rotates more of the color is added. What is sometimes forgotten is that the flags are stacked in series so that the light must pass through all three flags to exit the fixture. This is the "subtractive" mixing. Additive mixing is what you see in a RGB LED fixture. (Sometimes White and/or Amber is added due to the shortcomings of the LEDs by nature.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not been stated clearly but to do what you're after will require you use Red, Green & Blue Gel, with a single colour per PAR.

Red & Green mixed will give Yellow, Red & Blue mixed will give Magenta/Pink, Blue & Green mixed will give Cyan/Aqua.
All 3 mixed will give white (ish).

We use this principle for our Cyc lighting.
The actual Gel colours you use will be up to personal preference & experimentation, but we use Lee 106 Primary Red, Lee 139 Primary Green, and Lee 195 Zenith Blue.

It's not been stated clearly but to do what you're after will require you use Red, Green & Blue Gel, with a single colour per PAR.

Red & Green mixed will give Yellow, Red & Blue mixed will give Magenta/Pink, Blue & Green mixed will give Cyan/Aqua.
All 3 mixed will give white (ish).

We use this principle for our Cyc lighting.
The actual Gel colours you use will be up to personal preference & experimentation, but we use Lee 106 Primary Red, Lee 139 Primary Green, and Lee 195 Zenith Blue.

That would be RGB color mixing not CMY though.

Via tapatalk

That would be RGB color mixing not CMY though.
Via tapatalk

Josh, you're entirely correct, but it's what he needs to do to make it work with Gel in front of standard PARS, versus what he asked.
As often happens, people want a solution to a problem, but don't know how to ask the right questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back