Best tablet for iRFR etc.

Colin

Wondering about everyone's experiences with specific tablet models and specs with the iRFR app, perhaps in addition to audio remote apps. I've found a lot on CB about pros and cons of buying the RFR versus using the app, but nothing on best hardware for the app.

I've dabbled in the iRFR (edit: wait, it was the aRFR for android if that makes any difference) before on a phone only, but have mostly used the real RFR in the past, so I don't have a very good handle on what is important for happy use on a tablet.

Platform? I'm at a college that's heavy into Apple, and I might prefer iPad anyway but I'm not sold either way. Lower cost than iPad would be nice of course, but I don't want to end up with a clunker UI either. It seems like all the remote apps are now being made for multiple platforms, but does anyone know of any I might encounter that are single-platform? Just as an easy example I'm going to talk in terms of iPads here.

Processor? For apps like iRFR, HiQnet apps, StageMix and other audio console remotes, does it matter at this point between for instance the A7 and the new A8X in an iPad? I've used a majorly cheapo Windows XP tablet for HiQnet System Architect and StageMix and it tested my patience but I got by.

Storage? These apps are tiny so I don't see a need for maxing out this spec, but feel free to educate me. I'm not planning on storing any media and this is not a work+personal situation. The tablet will be only for system remotes and perhaps show notes.

Screen size is a big one I'm wondering about. In addition to the iRFR app, I could envision perhaps trying to squeeze audio apps onto the same tablet following future console and amp upgrades. I know I'll appreciate the most screen space possible for an audio remote, but does for instance going between an iPad mini and Air size make a difference for iRFR? That's about a 2" difference diagonally. Having only used iRFR on a phone (and only a little bit) I can't compare to tablet use. One thing about a smaller screen is portability. I could fit an iPad mini in some of my pockets, and could more conveniently case and secure it properly for climbing.

Anything else I should consider?

I only just learned that the proceeds from iRFR go to Behind the Scenes. Pretty cool, and I will no longer complain about the price!

Last edited:
I ended up with 2 iPads, one for sound, and one for lighting. Stagemix and iRFR. I didn't set up out network, and swapping between consoles was not streamlined on 1 iPad in my situation because the consoles are on 2 different networks.

Did they release an android stage mix app?

Both are pretty solid, with few problems. In a pinch, I have used the iPad for a remote "Go", which I would not suggest, but represents how much I trust the setup.

The faders are more accurate on a larger screen. My fat fingers can never seem to get it right on an iPhone. But, the larger screen also means it would be impractical on ladders, catwalks and elsewhere, so you may prefer a smaller size depending on your intended use. I would be curious how others like the iPad mini and others.

I ended up with 2 iPads, one for sound, and one for lighting. Stagemix and iRFR. I didn't set up out network, and swapping between consoles was not streamlined on 1 iPad in my situation because the consoles are on 2 different networks.

I was wondering about ease of switching between consoles. I believe I've had Ion and LS9/M7CL on the same network but still with separate tablets (a tablet and a phone actually) so we will see how it goes with a single tablet and single network for both some day. In my current situation it would be rare to need to switch fast back and forth between consoles anyway, but on that blue moon I bet any glitches will be extra annoying since it probably means I'm in a hurry.

Did they release an android stage mix app?

Ahh...good catch. I don't think there has ever been an android version, and although 3 years ago I was running it on a Windows tablet I now see no mention of that platform on Yamaha's site now. Have they gone backwards? Another point for iPad.

The faders are more accurate on a larger screen. My fat fingers can never seem to get it right on an iPhone. But, the larger screen also means it would be impractical on ladders, catwalks and elsewhere, so you may prefer a smaller size depending on your intended use. I would be curious how others like the iPad mini and others.

I too wonder if the relatively small difference between the iPad sizes makes a difference. Clearly going from an iPhone to any tablet would be helpful but where does the size advantage start to level off? I'm leaning towards getting the biggest surface available since I know I'll want it for audio down the road, and then I could cough up for the aRFR app for my android phone and have something portable. I'd really only need to pocket it when doing notes by myself, and the rest of the time like during focus calls I'll have enough hands for someone to be on deck with a bigger tablet.

Something else this brings up is how well it works to switch between say an iPad with iRFR and an android phone with aRFR during the same call. Would anything freak out if I tried to have both remotes connected with the Ion at the same time? Probably not going to be a common issue for me, but I can see it coming up.

Last edited:
Crap I guess haven't figured out how to split up quoted text yet in this forum thingy...

Edit: I did it!

Last edited:
I used the iPad mini. I am excited that the new software update includes OSC so I will be able to make my own stuff in lemur.

I was wondering about ease of switching between consoles. I believe I've had Ion and LS9/M7CL on the same network but still with separate tablets (a tablet and a phone actually) so we will see how it goes with a single tablet and single network up.

Having your lighting and audio systems on the same network is not a recommended practice, but that's your choice.

My biggest complaint using the iRFR app on my Mini tablet and 5S phone is that in the iOS environment, the device will automatically switch to the strongest WiFi signal. My lighting router is currently located at my rear orchestra lighting position. When I head onstage, my iOS devices automatically reconnect to our backstage internet router and I need to do a Settings router change and re launch the iRFR app. PITA.

I don't have this problem with my Galaxy Tablet with aRFR ( which is not as elegant an app as the Apple version), whose WiFi settings allow the device to stay locked to a router

I will be relocating my lighting router backstage this summer to try to solve this issue. The research I've done about iOS doesn't show a solution via software or device settings, but maybe changing the router location will help.

Thanks, Steve. Very good to know about the wifi issue. I do have both public and private WiFi in the building. Would my iPad still try to switch if I make it "forget" all other networks?

What is it that you like more about iRFR versus aRFR? Just general look and feel or is there more functionality in the Apple version? I would guess the iPad has a better touchscreen than most androids.

At my college, we use apple gear almost exclusively. The irfr is on every technicians phone and tablet (if they own one) and on the department iPads. There are sometimes 3-4 irfr apps controlling the network at one time. We have 4 venues and use the same tablets in all of them. All venues have at least 3-4 wifi signals in addition to our lighting routers. We have never had the switching issue so I can't comment on that. The irfr app is comfortable for me on my phone and tablet but I prefer the tablet for moving light checks due to the number of encoders I keep open. I don't think the size would make that huge of a difference honestly. Overall, go with the iPad because I can't recall a single company that develops for another platform and not iOS but I do know several apps that are only iOS

Thanks, Steve. Very good to know about the wifi issue. I do have both public and private WiFi in the building. Would my iPad still try to switch if I make it "forget" all other networks?

What is it that you like more about iRFR versus aRFR? Just general look and feel or is there more functionality in the Apple version? I would guess the iPad has a better touchscreen than most androids.

My 2nd phone doesn't. I keep an older iPhone at work just for use as a remote and made it forget every network but the lighting one. I haven't had any issues with it trying to jump networks on me.

If you want a "production" tablet you don't really have much of a choice. It is iPad all the way. I'm a huge android supporter but they just don't compete here. Some companies have android apps, but no one supports everything like the iPad does. Granted, I do like the X32 app on Android much better than the iPad app. We have both our lighting console and audio consoles on the same network. Both are just for control... no dimmers or stage boxes are on that network.

And when it comes to iPads... they are totally commodity products at this stage. Get whatever is current in however much space you feel you need. For production work go big or go home... so get the 10" version. Get a otterbox case and be done with it. I have 2 16gb retina's that are going on 2 years. They still work great.

Granted, I do like the X32 app on Android much better than the iPad app. We have both our lighting console and audio consoles on the same network. Both are just for control... no dimmers or stage boxes are on that network.

That's a useful tidbit about the X32, which will likely be what we end up with unless we get very wealthy in the next year.

I too will only be using the network for control in the foreseeable future.

And when it comes to iPads... they are totally commodity products at this stage. Get whatever is current in however much space you feel you need. For production work go big or go home... so get the 10" version. Get a otterbox case and be done with it. I have 2 16gb retina's that are going on 2 years. They still work great.

This is exactly what I'll do. Thanks!

In our venue, we have both a iPad and a iPod Touch for use as iRFR for our Ion. Lighting primarily uses the iPod Touch, as it's far more convenient, and can just be slipped into a pocket while running around.

My church as run iPad's for Stagemix since it Yamaha announced StageMix (with in a month of it being avaible, possibly even only a week).

We started on a Gen 1 iPad but switched to an iPad mini Gen 2 as we actually like the smaller size as it's easier to hold or stick in a pocket.

FWIW neither one had a case and we've had not problems because of that.

Philip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back