Best way to attach "Skins" to existing flats

Frank

I don't know if "skin" is the right word or not but we're planning a show that needs different scenery hung onto some flats already on stage. This will be painted on louan plywood (1/8" - thin stuff!) and we're looking for advice on how to attach them. The easy way is to put a couple of nails or something to hang them on but finding holes quickly during scene changes isn't easy. Is there a special fastener (ex. spring-loaded quarter turn or something) that might work? We're looking for a quick-and-dirty (but reliable) solution.

Thanks for any advice, ideas, etc.

Could you just screw little "U" shaped brackets to the back and hang it on the flat?

If I understand you correctly, you want to build flats for a show, then during the scene change remove one lauan panel and replace it with another lauan panel that's painted a different style?

Or are you looking to add or remove decor hanging on a flat during a scene change, such as trim pieces, a mantle, a clock, or other items that could be hung on a wall?

rip a 1x2 down its center with a 20deg-45deg angle attach one side onto the top of the luan and one onto the "flat" to form a long hook.

Last edited:
That's a good idea venuetech. The hangers I suggested or your 45 idea are good. With your idea I think I would box out the panel with 2x2 to keep the front to back curl out of it.

My understanding of this design issue is:

You have scene one. You go to dark(er) and transition to scene two. Scene one is painted on one piece of lauan, and scene two is on another piece. Both end up on a flat that is in the same position.

If both must be in the same position, I recommend the following:

Make the framing of the flat, and double/stress skin it. DURING the construction, hang it on a center pick/support with a bearing that allows it to rotate. Install some form of limiter that prevents it from rotating 360 degrees, and only allows it 180 degrees of rotation. This can be as simple as a piece of ply/lauan screwed to the floor, if the flat is on the ground, to as complex as a welded stop.

If the flat are different sizes, and you can not fly them, you are pretty much screwed if they need be in the same position. It would require a stationary smaller flat that is then covered by a larger moveable flat placed on top of the smaller flat when necessary. Depending on aesthetics, venuetech's solution may work. If you need it to be perpendicular to the floor, then no. If you will never notice based on distance from the stage, great, rock it.

to keep the front to back curl out of it.

The curl. well that would be another problem, some sort of framing would be needed to prevent curling and to hold the luan flat but 2x2 would be a bit heavy

Joe's stress skin would be a lightweight solution to the curl. Make it up like a hollow core door only 3/4" thick

I'm not sure that I would trust velcro to hold up a sheet of luan where it could potentially fall on someone. Assuming that you are covering a 4x8 flat with a piece of 4x8 luan, my thought would be to attach a piece of angle iron to the top of the second layer. You would then put a couple of nails into the top of the flat, set the second layer's angle iron on top of this and shimmy it until it falls into place.

Thanks for everyone's comments. It was late (for me anyway) when I posted the original request and I forgot to mention that both sides of the luan will be used. That said, I like venuetechs idea as that would also help hold the skin "flatter" and help with storage. The show is Wizard of Oz and we're using two revolves with skins to create the scenery. We have no fly space and very little wing space (read "none") so everything is a challenge. Boxing things out is one solution but would require doubling up on material and be harder to store. I also like the angle iron idea...

If you are doing revolves and need to make both sides of the luan work, then build a flat with 2x2 or 1x3 and cover both sides. Then instead of trying to attach it to the current wall, install allthread in the bottom and drill holes in the floor. Place the wall and slide the allthread in the holes. To get the third scene pull, reverse and reinsert the allthread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back