blacklight paints

theatre4jc

I have a wall that we are wanting to paint with some phosphorescent paints to cause it to really pop under black light. Doing that is not the problem but as I was talking to the director she was wondering if it was possible to have it painted one color but when the black lights hit the color completely shifts. Is this even possible. This is a room used for children's ministry at my church. Currently we have random "fun" designs painted on the wall in bright colors. They have recently incorporated puppets that react to black light and they were wanting various parts of the back wall to pop as well. The wall has hidden doors and slots for the puppets to come out of so the thing is covered pretty well with the black lights.

Does anyone know of any phosphorescent paints that can go on clear but shine various colors? If it has to be the same color that we repaint the wall with then we will deal, just worth checking into.

Clearneon makes a line of "invisible" UV paints that might suit your purpose. There are likely other manufacturers. Rosco makes an invisible blue but I don't think any of their other UV paints are invisible.

Rosco's VividFX paints are very bright UV paints, but nothing clear and changeable like you mentioned. Is it possible to use traditional CYC lighting to change the colors like you want?- the VividFX paint will make the wall considerably brighter than any cyc- especially when blasted with 3000 watts of 3800K light. Also, some automated lighting instruments have UV filters that can be used in addition to the color wheel and GOBO wheel, giving that area both UV-reactive properties and color choice. The VividFX paint is going to increase the "gain" of the light you throw onto it, more or less pushing the color temp/chroma into an "almost fluorescent (using the word loosely) range"- think of like making a wall painted blue look more like a blue screen on a TV.

To do what you want there are three types of UV reactive paints

One is the ones where the visible and activated color are the same
The second is where the Visible is white and the activated is color
The third is where the visible is clear, and the activated is color
Wildfire which is now made by Modern Masters offers all three

Sharyn

So I just checked out Wildfire stuff for the first time thanks to the last two posters..... i think i just fell in love. THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back