Blackout Costume???

jpeirce

Can anyone point me to a source for 'blackout' wear for stagehands, the kind that look like ninja suits? we have to do some stage moves and we don't want the stagehands to be seen...
thanks
JP
jp ((((AT)))) mayoarts (((DOT))) org

Would't ninja gear put more attention on the technician rather than just a standard pair of black BDU's? To me when in the theater i see someone completely blacked out next to a person who has black clothes on but otherwise not covered it draws more attention to the person completely blacked out.

So, are you looking for the type of jumpsuits and hoods that technicians wear who assist magicians?

5.11 makes everything you need to make your technicians look totally blacked out. Black jumpsuit, head covering, goggles and gloves, tie them all together and you have blackout gear!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I spoke to a friend of mine who has worked with most all of the big name magicians (David Copperfield, Chriss Angel, Penn and Teller, Lance Burton, to name a few) and who used to own his own magic studio, he said that they usually just had their costume department custom make all of their blackout wear (especially the hood). Sorry that doesn't help much.

With Halloween coming up, you might be able to get the hood from a costume like this.

When I spoke to a friend of mine who has worked with most all of the big name magicians (David Copperfield, Chriss Angel, Penn and Teller, Lance Burton, to name a few) and who used to own his own magic studio, he said that they usually just had their costume department custom make all of their blackout wear (especially the hood). Sorry that doesn't help much.

With Halloween coming up, you might be able to get the hood from a costume like this.

Thanks!
JP

only thing i would be worried about with that hood is the cheap costumes tend to use fabric that is almost scrim like, and is very easy to tear as well as is very see through, so while it would work in very dim light situations, think trick or treating with maybe a moon out for light, in any other light that that its almost useless for coverage.

If you are worried about the cheap material, you may want to consider using a tactical balaclava, and applying black makeup on the exposed skin around the eyes.

I'd like to expand a bit on DuckJordan's post:

Unless you have a black background made of the same or extremely similar fabric to what the crew is wearing, you will have a much easier time making the tech unremarkable than totally blacked out.

As others have said, standard blacks with some more precaution would probably work just fine. If you're looking for an extreme solution though, I'd say this is your best bet:

Spandex Bodysuit | RootSuit | $44 Full Body Spandex Suits

$44 each, with volume discounts. Just order in solid black. They have a small logo, but you can pay $5 to have it omitted. Otherwise a piece of black gaff takes care of it quite easily. Extremely effective. And they're quite entertaining on top of that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back