Blizzard HotBox for Front Lighting

BadRad

Have a small 3 piece band playing 2-400 seat clubs. We're currently using 3 Puck Pro Zooms for front lighting (one on each performer) mounted on a 5' truss out front. I love them, though would like to reduce the overall size - and set up for wiCICLE (w/power) support. Thinking about replacing the Zooms with 3 HotBoxes (RGBW). We haven't really used the Zoom functionality on the Pros and usually keep them to the tight beam pattern. With the HotBoxes, we can move to a 3.25' truss and cut the total weight from 31lbs to 17lbs. Much more portable.

The HotBoxes appear to be brighter than the Zooms at a similar beam angle. Do I lose anything with the HotBoxes in this configuration? Haven't used them before, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use HotBoxes (I have the RGBA varient) and really like them so far (had them just about 2 months now I believe). They're one of Blizzard's best price/to light output ratio products, $0.012/lux total (for the RGBW). They're also one of the more energy efficient fixtures that they have, 319 lux/Watt.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are having to move the truss closer since you were using the puck pro zooms on the narrowest beam angle, is that the angle at which the light will be coming from will likely be slightly higher, unless you lower the truss as well.

If you're looking for something slightly brighter but an even better price per lumen, I'd go for the RGBW RokBox.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Blizzard in any way, even though this may seem like a commercial.

I use HotBoxes (I have the RGBA varient) and really like them so far (had them just about 2 months now I believe). They're one of Blizzard's best price/to light output ratio products, $0.012/lux total (for the RGBW). They're also one of the more energy efficient fixtures that they have, 319 lux/Watt.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are having to move the truss closer since you were using the puck pro zooms on the narrowest beam angle, is that the angle at which the light will be coming from will likely be slightly higher, unless you lower the truss as well.
Thanks, though not sure I follow here. The Puck Zooms at their narrowest are 25deg, the same as the HotBox. Not sure I'd have to move the truss closer to compensate, would I?

If you're looking for something slightly brighter but an even better price per lumen, I'd go for the RGBW RokBox.
The Zooms are plenty bright for our needs, and the appeal of the HotBox is a smaller and lighter rig, so not sure the RokBox is what I'm after. As long as the HotBox covers the essential ground of the Zooms at 25deg, I'd be good. What I really want to know is if the overall coverage of the HotBox will be close to the Zooms, or will I see a huge difference. A little less is fine.

OH, I had thought the Zooms were at their widest at 25 degrees, my bad.

Theoretically the HotBoxes will be twice as bright, and considering they have the same beam angle, should be nearly the same coverage.

OH, I had thought the Zooms were at their widest at 25 degrees, my bad.

Theoretically the HotBoxes will be twice as bright, and considering they have the same beam angle, should be nearly the same coverage.
No problem - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Will probably pick some up soon - might opt for the RGBAW, or possibly even the EXA. Thanks!

No problem - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Will probably pick some up soon - might opt for the RGBAW, or possibly even the EXA. Thanks!
Just keep in mind that the RGBAW and EXA versions are nearly twice as much per blue LED lumen. The EXA would be brighter in all colors compared to the regular RGBW though, and the RGBAW would be more expensive & not as bright.

Just keep in mind that the RGBAW and EXA versions are nearly twice as much per blue LED lumen. The EXA would be brighter in all colors compared to the regular RGBW though, and the RGBAW would be more expensive & not as bright.
All appear to be brighter than my Zooms, which are already plenty bright for our needs. Will keep in mind, though. Didn't realize some of the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back