Blue Edge and Brown Edge

I made a Linebacher projector out of two Century 8" #1560 Lekolights. This by way of removing reflector and lens train plus gate from the cannon of a fixture. Large painted plexiglass screen that was optically arranged than spiked into place at a focal point that in the location did its best effect. Than the stray light was blocked after focusing. Basically it was a slide with behind it a large wattage lamp at a focused proximity without reflection and refraction.
Since you used two 8" Lekolites, did you make one or two LINNEBACH projectors? A unit with no reflector or lens, and per your own words no reflection and refraction, cannot have a focal point. The best commercial Linnebach projectors were made by Kliegl Bros. as late as the 1970s, and used a 65V, 2100W T24 Mogul Bi-Post lamp. A dimmable transformer was included. The slides were huge, maybe 24" x 36".

Since you used two 8" Lekolites, did you make one or two LINNEBACH projectors? A unit with no reflector or lens, and per your own words no reflection and refraction, cannot have a focal point. The best commercial Linnebach projectors were made by Kliegl Bros. as late as the 1970s, and used a 65V, 2100W T24 Mogul Bi-Post lamp. A dimmable transformer was included. The slides were huge, maybe 24" x 36".

I made two of them - the cannon lower part of the fixtues lens train from gate to gel frame removed on them is about 16" wide. Reflector removed you have a shielded 16" single focus filament source projecting against a pattern. Only from there is a question of filament efficiency, projection and frame that’s optically aligned. This given most of the fixture removed.

As said, what I did was not optically a slide projected, more like an image projected of fitting to the ethereal nature of the shows.

Ah.... “Cannot have a focal point” Not my words certainly given many lighting fixtures of the past without reflectors and or even some without lenses - focal point is the filament. That’s a simple answer common to the concept of this type of projector in why you remove them so as not to get double and more images or why one puts a gel where its located.

Imagine this slide where it’s placed at the place where the beam is most efficient to project that beam of light out of the filament only source. Lots less efficiency but also a sort of naturalistic type of projection.

My slides were about 24" square also.

Main concept... it worked and looked darned good! Could do so especially with a Fresnel but also with the lower half of a Leko.

It’s a concept in a lively artistic projection. If you want reality, go projection - just calculate properly the exact angles and have a wide enough fixture or get stuck projecting from the front instead of adjusting the plate to the angle of projection you need. Sure what’s close will be more refined which you can correct for but overall, worked really well. Does work, just gotta be there in trying such a thing. Huge silide.... yep, it was, on the other hand a bit more easy to paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back