Installs Board Meeting Sound: missing anything?

sdauditorium

Objective: to provide a direct audio feed to camera that captures school board members, presenter and Superintendent for archival video recording of school board meetings. Note: there is no current or future intent to provide live sound reinforcement from this system.

I appreciated the feedback from an earlier thread regarding suggestions to equipment. Here's what we ordered, let me know if I could potentially be overlooking anything. Each board member and the Superintendent will have a dedicated mic along with an extra for any presenters.

8 x Shure MX418D/C Microflex Cardioid Desktop Microphone
1 x Shure SCM820 Intellimix Digital Mixer w/ DB25 connectors
1 x DB25 to 8-channel XLRF cable
1 x Power Conditioner
1 x 6-space portable rack
1 x stereo headphones (to monitor mix)
1 x miscellaneous mic cables, etc.

Anything else that I haven't thought of? Thanks for the input.

What kind of input does the video camera have? You may need some parts to adapt that connection.

Forget the power conditioner. A surge suppressing plug strip will accomplish the same thing for less money. Include some kind of cases or totes to hold the mics and cables.

Why the expensive mixer? Why not the Mackie ProFX16? Then have a cable snake with 8 XLR in's and out's and have the portable rack include a space for a rack-mounted mixer?

Just noticed it was already ordered.
The automixer is a good choice. Mixing that type of event by hand is a fool's errand. Doing it by hand would lead to too many mics open all the time, or too many missed words as the operator tries to turn on the correct mic. I've mixed similar situations by hand and with automixers, and it is no contest.

The other thing is that with no reinforcement required, to a large extent, with the auto mixer, the system can be set and forgotten, rather than needing an extra person at every meeting to ride the faders...

The SCM820 outputs can be set to different types of Automixing (gain-shared vs. gated). I like gain-shared for record/broadcast and gated for reinforcement.

That's another key point I forgot to mention which makes me feel comfortable about the autmixer. While I will initially set up the system to configure it, it will be someone much less knowledgeable hooking this up for board meetings, and a simple "set it up and turn it on" kind of turn-key solution was important. If it was me, simplicity wouldn't be as big of a deal but it needed to be in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back