Borders/portals?

sdrival

Does anyone know the name of the rounded archway borders that sometimes frame the stage in a theatrical production? I can't find a good picture, but usually there's three of them. One in the front, middle and back of the stage. I call them portals. I'm trying to find a company that might sell, rent or build them, but I'm not exactly sure what to call them so I'm not having much luck with my search. Any help would be appreciated.

Like this, except US of the proscenium?
RCMH-aud-400x239.jpg

I'd call them "arched portals." Very likely a custom item. Are you looking for soft (unframed) or hard (framed)? Painted or velour?

Not quite a bandshell, but a similar look.
fair-park-band-shell-amphitheater-01.jpg
Beautiful lighting Design - Fair Park Band Shell Amphitheater | Modern Home

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of exactly what you want? There are no off the shelf portals that anyone makes, at least that I know of. Portals are usually made on a show by show basis or a venue by venue basis. Because they are masking elements, how many linesets you have, where your critical seats are, how portable it needs to be, and how much you have to spend will greatly change the way the portal is built. Any scene shop will be able to build you one, however its not going to be cheap. There is actually a lot of labor involved in building one. Last one I build it took about 50 hours from start to finish. That was 4 portals that were built to tour.

You could also go the soft portal route. That would involve a border and set of legs that are are cut to very specific dimensions. Using pipe instead of chain to hold the legs and border tight will give a cleaner look and make the legs look like hard elements. Either way, its not going to be cheap. Well built portals can last many years and can really allow a variety of looks.

I can't find a picture, but I think you understand what I'm talking about. They're the arched portals used for masking that essentially eliminate the need for traditional vertical legs.

If there aren't any companies that would custom build them do you know of a website or resource that would have information on how to build them and suggested materials? I don't know the first thing about how to construct them or how they would be safely installed.

If there aren't any companies that would custom build them do you know of a website or resource that would have information on how to build them and suggested materials? I don't know the first thing about how to construct them or how they would be safely installed.

Any scene shop will be able to build you a set of portals, bring them out, and install them. If you give a call to whoever you buy your theatre supplies from locally, they should be able to point you to a good shop in your area. If you are going to be taking these things down and putting them back up often, I would suggest going with steel, preferably .049 MT1010 with rigging points attached.

Just a quick google search: San Diego Opera Scenic Studio

One quick note and taking off the TD hat and putting on the LD hat. Talk to your LD before you go through the investment of curved portals. They are nearly impossible to light a stage around. They look great, but they block about 70% of your upstage/downstage shots off your electrics which makes for rather flat lighting. The only way to get around this is to do numerous tail downs on an electric. Its a real pain and can really affect how the final product looks. Have whatever shop you have build the portal build it so that the curve is removable allowing you to have a standard square portal and a curved portal.

Last edited:
My shop had built some a few yrs ago for a show and we used a heavy black duv out costume shop was nice enough to sew the couple of pieces we had to seam in and do all of the hem work and sew in the webbing for use. worked really well for us. throughout the different scenes of the show they were being raised and we used travelers to make the opening bigger. as the show progressed while maintaining the arched look. the other nice part of doing them out of duv is easy to store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back