Box set

EustaceM

Let's say the first half of a show requires a box set but the other half does not. How would you construct the flats for the box set so it could be striked for the scenes that do not require it.

It depends on how long I have to strike the set between acts, available wing space, flying options, and whether the box set has things like functional doors, stairs, etc. It also depends on whether hollywood or broadway flats were used in the construction. If you can fly then any wall that is parallel to the proscenium could be flown out. In my venue we don't have a full fly loft so building the set on a number of trucks becomes the default. It's also possible to lash or hinge broadway flats so they can be unlashed and/or folded and struck. Hollywood flats can be put together with clamps that get undone to strike. Lots and lots of options, including rethinking the staging so a box set is not required.

It depends on the show but you could consider fragmented walls. If you need the full box then hinges, c clamps and slip pins become your friend.

How about a bit more info on your stage, wingspace, storage space, budgets, etc. There's a million thing you could do...

How about a bit more info on your stage, wingspace, storage space, budgets, etc. There's a million thing you could do...

Agree with this, more info is needed. On the other hand my first reaction as a designer is why is a "Box Set" critical in the first place? There are a lot more interesting things a designer can do without the limitations of a box set. Get out of the box!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back