Breaking News Cirque Du Soleil Performer Killed in Fall During Show

Pretty amazing. Your telling me there was not a limit in place to keep a performer from smacking into the grid? Really? And there was not sheave in place to keep the rope from jumping the sheave?

I could see the lack of a limit. The performer is in control of their own movement, so that should be a non-issue. From what I gathered from the articles, she hit the grid at a high speed which made the cable jump the sheave which meant it hit a sharp edge and was torn apart. In that case I'd question what made her hit the grid (medical emergency, failure in the controller, and why an e-stop wasn't initiated when she went off the choreography). That said, that doesn't really line up with any of the earlier reports. If she fell while near the top of the wall, clearly she was not at the grid.

Hopefully OSHA and/or Cirque will publish the full report so that the industry can learn from this and hopefully prevent future tragedies.

Personal unsubstantiated opinion, OSHA was trying darn hard to find something. Doubt there is ever a death without fines. She had been performing for years, obviously the accident was not caused by her lack of training in the system.

Now we are speculating and as you can see it's getting us nowhere.

Details, as explained by reporters who don't know the difference between a sheave and a turnbuckle, may not be accurate to our standards of understanding.

It is standard procedure for OSHA to have a one year wait in order to allow appeals to go through and be resolved. A full final report will be written, then the report will be freely available to the public. So we will definitely have all the details available to us next year for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back