Breaking News Cirque Du Soleil Performer Killed in Fall During Show

Wow. Cirque puts so much time, money, and effort into keeping their cast and crew safe.

Prayers and wishes to her family and the Cirque family.

Quick note from the CB Senior Team: We will not allow any discussion or speculation on the cause of the accident. Cirque has an unparallelled reputation in this industry for safety and we will wait for their report. CB mourns with the entire Cirque family.

I hope I’m not out of line here
all do respects to the family and crew, Cirque Du Soleil is a Family and care deeply about each other.
We are a relatively small industry and we need to lookout for each other too.
I think this may be a good time to let the members here to know about
BEHIND THE SCENES
if not known already.

ESTA Foundation - Behind the Scenes - About Behind the Scenes, News, Apply for a Grant, Make a Contribution

From their web site
Behind the Scenes provides financial support to entertainment technology industry professionals when they are ill or injured or to their surviving family members. Funds can be used for medical care, basic living costs and funeral expenses. Behind the Scenes brings help and hope in times of great need.</SPAN>

To all who will continue in our family
Keep BTS in mind

Last edited:
Shock...........That's my only reaction. It had to happen sometime with the boundaries they pushed, but I never thought I'd live to see it happen. A sobering reminder to all, that what we do, as performers, technicians, and riggers, it is not a game, it is a very dangerous line of work with potentially fatal outcomes. Short-cuts, quicker, cheaper, are never the answer in our branch of the business. My deepest sympathies and condolences to her children and family.

Sharing this incredibly well-written post from Erica Lintz
Sarah Guyard Guillot, our hearts go out to all her students, family and friends.

"Too many times, I hear people refer to performers as fearless. I've taken to gently correcting them by saying, "We're not fearless, we're brave." We understand the risks, we know that under the big top potential disaster lurks behind each corner. We know that winning your astonishment and awe requires a death defying balance of beauty and danger, and we accept it with open eyes and aching joints. We do this with great love and joy for the privilege of entertaining our audience and being a part of their lives. We are not fearless... We are brave...and I will miss my brave friend Sasoun very, very much. I will be forever grateful to have shared so many laughs, moments of sisterhood, and to have overcome so many fears together. All my love to the family and the sisters of dressing room D. Peace to you my dearest Sarah ......

Last edited:
This one is personal to the CB staff for reasons which must remain private. I have had a great deal of unique access to Ka over the last few years. I've seen the show performed from the booth and from the stage. I've had the privilege of standing on deck during a show and watching the scene in which this tragedy occurred performed straight up more than 50' above my head. I've toured the grid, seen the rigging gear, and fist bumped performers as they entered and exited the stage during the show. Last year at LDI, dvsDave and I had the privilege of talking late into the night with the Ka T.D. Much of that conversation was about the amazing focus on safety that exists at Ka, how you develop it, how you maintain it. Ka's staff and the efforts they take to ensure safety, ranks up there with the best in the world and it is the last place that I would have ever dreamed this could happen.

Ka is a tight family. I consider myself lucky to consider a couple of people who work at Ka friends. I can't imagine the pain the artists and crew are going through right now. Then most tragic of all, there are the two young children without a mom. If you have kids hug them and tell them you love them. If you are a religious person pray for Sarah's family and the Ka family. No mater who you are remember them tomorrow and try to make the world a little better place.

JhochB is right, making a donation to Behind the Scenes would be one way for those of us at a distance to create some good in the world to counteract this tragedy.

As Dave said, we will be keeping a close eye on this thread and will be swift to delete anything insensitive.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, cast, and crew of KA. I hope that we can all learn from this tragic incident so at least a small sliver of good can come out of it. Hopefully it will make people stop and think about trying to do something similar without proper professional support from people that really know how to do this safely. If it can happen on that show it can happen to anyone. Be safe.

“At this point in time, I can’t confirm exactly what happened. But I can confirm that she did not slip out of her harness,” said Cirque spokesperson Renee-Claude Menard of the accident that claimed the life of veteran aerialist Sarah “Sassoon” Guyard-Guillot.

Full article:
Cirque du Soleil Artist Dies After Fall in Vegas | Variety

I too hope that we can all learn from this so that her death wasn't entirely meaningless. I will also say I was shocked to hear about this. If there is one common theme I have heard from various Cirque du Soleil professionals it is a dedication to safety. Regardless of what the cause turns out to be, I would consider this a freak accident.

Last edited:
A memorial website for Sarah "Sasoun" Guyard-Guillot has been setup at http://forsasoun.com. She left behind two sweet young children. If you would like to help those children you can do so by making a donation in one of two ways. Send money via PayPal to the account [email protected] or you can make out a check to “The Guyard Family” and mail it directly to them at: 8256 Avens Place, Las Vegas, NV 89117. I realize the website is pretty basic and this way of sending money seems a little sketchy. This information came directly to me from a trusted CB member and friend, who is far too close to the situation. If you trust anything I've said here on CB, trust me now that your donations will go directly to Sarah's family.

And a special message for the media if any of you happen find this... LEAVE THE FAMILY OF KA ALONE! STOP HARASSING THESE GRIEVING PEOPLE! Working in the arts is not just like any other job, you become family. When you have to truly trust your life to those family members (two shows a day) that bond becomes even stronger. When something goes horribly wrong, the family is going to unite together and support each other like a family does. They will not talk to you and they have nothing to say to the world. When the investigation is done, we will find out what actually happened. In the meantime, remember you are harassing some of the top professional acrobats and technicians in the world. None of them is interested in mindlessly speculating just so you can fill air time and newspaper columns so show a little human decency and LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!

Last edited:
Well said Gafftaper. I would add another special message for the media. Please BE RESPECTFUL. STOP finding people to mindlessly speculate on what might have happened. Those that know or have a good idea won't talk to you. And DO NOT say that Cirque lacks contingency plans. They are well respected in the industry for their safety efforts and contingency planning. This was a tragic accident. If you want to talk about something talk about how great Sarah was or encourage people to donate to the family.

This post is simply from a mother of two who wanted to express how heartbroken I am for the two children left without their mom.
I know many children around the world are orphans, but this has affected me more so. Perhaps it was because of the beautiful memorial site with pictures of a genuine and loving young woman so full of life gracing the screen. Or maybe it's the fact that I have always admired and dreamed of seeing the Cirque in person one day. I am praying for her family both at home and at the Cirque.

I was reading the comments below one of the news stories and felt compelled to respond to a comment saying Cirque doesn't care about it's performers or safety. I posted that Cirque is a leader in the safety of it's performers and techs. I wish people that have no clue on a subject would just not comment.

I wish people that have no clue on a subject would just not comment.

I agree completely Michael. In fact the situation is the exact opposite. Cirque brings in artists with the most spectacular abilities in the world and surrounds them with the best technicians, equipment and training facilities. The physical therapy and training center backstage at Ka is at least the equal to what you would find in the NFL. There are trainers, doctors, coaches, whirlpools, and everything you could ever need for physical therapy.

I did a backstage tour with the Stage Manager on a traveling Cirque show once. Although the facilities were not as luxurious as Ka, the artists still had everything they need. At the time one artist in the show had a minor injury. The SM told me about how they were always adjusting the show's line up and running order. In order to give injured artists a rest or to just give someone a night off.

As mentioned above, at LDI 2012, dvsDave and I had a lengthy conversation with the Ka TD about the Ka commitment to safety. He told us about the extensive efforts they have gone through to make sure if an accident happens, the best care is immediately available. He told us about a rare injury that can happen with electrical shocks. The Ka staff had actually gone to the hospital and trained the hospital staff to look for this particular, normally undetectable injury.

Cirque definitely values everyone on their staff and again treats everyone as part of a huge family. The efforts Cirque puts into keeping their artists safe are remarkable.

Last edited:
From a friend
Know that we truly appreciate the condolences of the community. We have had an outpouring of thoughts coming from all over the world. We are thankful for our Congresswoman Dina Titus and the US State Department in working so hard to expedite the travel of Sasoun's family from France.

Last edited:
With regards to the media sniffing around: I have it from a contact that many people who rig, and/or work for Cirque in Vegas, were being contacted across many platforms (phone, email, Facebook, Twitter even!) by news outlets looking for anybody willing to go on record with "expert" statements (whatever the h*ll and "expert" is) about what did or could have happened.

It fills my black heart with glee to know that any/all reputable sources in LV told said media outlets to pound sand. Almost every article I've read so far has had one commonality: a steep degree of b*ll$#!t information from people who don't know jack.

I won't even speculate to myself, let alone others, what went wrong. And I have been asked already, more than once.

From the Cirque Facebook page:

Cirque du Soleil’s KÀ Performances Resume

Montreal (July 14, 2013) – Cirque du Soleil announces that performances of KÀ, presented at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, will resume on Tuesday, July 16th at 7:00 p.m.

The decision was made after a two-week evaluation and in agreement and consultation with the artists and staff of the production.

KÀ will be presented without the “Battle Scene” act. This act has been replaced with a transition artistic scene, “The Dressing-Ritual”, that will maintain both the storyline of production and its 90-minute running time.

The Tuesday July 16th 7:00 P.M. performance will be dedicated to the memory of Sarah Guillot-Guyard (Sasoun).

Cirque du Soleil has modified the schedule of performances of KÀ until July 23rd. The revised schedule is as follows:

KÀ will begin performances again on Tuesday, July 16th (7pm), Wednesday, July 17th (7pm), Thursday, July 18th (7pm) and Friday, July 19th (7pm). Please note that Saturday, July 20th was a scheduled dark day. We will cancel late show performances for Tuesday, July 16th (9:30pm), Wednesday, July 17th (9:30pm), Thursday July 18th (9:30pm) and Friday, July 19th (9:30pm).

KÀ will resume the regular performance schedule beginning on Tuesday, July 23rd.

All other ticketing info will remain the same.

The details surrounding the accident of June 29th are still under review by OSHA and their report on this matter may take up to 6 months before it is released.

Cirque du Soleil wishes to thank the audience and the media for their kind wishes, respect and on-going support during this difficult time.

https://www.facebook.com/KA

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back