Broken Leko Burner

CraigV

A few days ago, I went into the theatre to see what I had to work with while designing the lights for this show (we're doing Fame), and I noticed that one of the lights was not working. I checked the dimmer pack and the cables that lead up to it and it still wouldn't work, so I took it down so that I could safely replace the lamp.

When it was down, I noticed that one of the sockets for the lamp connection was much blacker than its counterpart. I tried a new lamp anyway and it was still no use. Finally, I took apart the burner and found that one of the sockets is completely melted!

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what these sockets are actually called? Is it possible to buy replacements for the sockets?

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case, Socket, HPL, for Source Four Ellipsoidals and MultiPARs, 44" Leads . Note
Source Fours manufactured prior to 1997 will not accept the current socket design unless retrofit with one of the kits shown below in Related Items.
See also Google CB search results. I bet yours looked just like this one
2395d1274050729-repairing-source-four-end-caps-burners-broken-burner.jpg

from the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...6-repairing-source-four-end-caps-burners.html .

Now the Question of the Day: Why is only one contact burned? Doesn't the same amount of current flow through each side? Doesn't alternating current reverse itself 60 times a second?

Last edited:
In that case, Socket, HPL, for Source Four Ellipsoidals and MultiPARs, 44" Leads . Note
See also Google CB search results. I bet yours looked just like this one
2395d1274050729-repairing-source-four-end-caps-burners-broken-burner.jpg

from the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...6-repairing-source-four-end-caps-burners.html .

Now the Question of the Day: Why is only one contact burned? Doesn't the same amount of current flow through each side? Doesn't alternating current reverse itself 60 times a second?

ETC Clearly designed it that way to cause greater aggravation when you were trying to replace parts and then cancelled being able to buy a single lead. In all seriousness, I would imagine that side would have some sort of arc gap, and its pretty much irrelevant that its AC, thats the side thats arcing.

Oh, sorry. It is a source four. I thought I had that in there, but I guess not.

Thanks! I will check them out!

I would order about 10 of them if your getting one. I liked to keep 5-10 on hand at any given time for my S4s (about 120 units using that same lamp socket) because it just happens a lot. Similar to lamps and spare T nuts and reflectors and 2P&G plugs and yolk bolts and ring terminals and those little screws that hold in lens tubes and the spin the barrel function (not sure what they are called exactly) and the bolts that the T nuts thread on to for the tilt lock and the like, instead of buying one every time you have an out, its probably worth it to speed things up and have spare parts.

Sorry but if if you removed a lamp and noted a bad lamp due to pins on it, why did you install a perfectly good lamp into the same fixture?

Just an education point in saving money in that you have hope given you noted a problem.

Lamp pins looking bad reflect the socket just as bad. Don't install a perfectly good lamp into a bad socket and if you do don't ever use it again unless you clean it for the arching that will be done.

Bad sockets are one thing in noting - like a virous once you replace the lamp socket but don't really - really clean the lamp in if "saving" it for use on another or even the same fixture.

Look at this concept as per a virous. Seen one case - possibly more. More than that don't trade the lamps or even re-install them short of treatment if even viable to do so. No trading of lamps between fixtures - ever short of cleaning, and no expectation of putting a perfectly good lamp into a perfectly bad socket will result in a even less lamp life of the one replaced.

Been thru this before... from a lamp buyer or manager standpoint in workable way with the tech person (the ones that note such things and care in general.) At times you gotta get the fixture working again by show time and installing a new lamp is the best option. Swapping lamps between fixtures even if going for the "known" working is mostly not the best option. Put a new sucker into the fixture but mark that fixture so by the next show it's replaced and or worked on.

Fair enough I think in getting a show up and running, yet not at times in the lamps I mostly deal with - a day wage for one of the crew in price - each time a perfectly good lamp is installed into a perfectly bad socet. That or in lamp to fixture swapping that causes endless problems also. Yes, Known working lamps is good to try for some fixtures and appropriate, but don't leave them in the fixture. This especially for incandescent or less expensive arc light sources. Otherwise for the high priced lamps, the new lamp has already been pre-tested and will work as well as a different fixture lamp. Only screws up another socket as a concept on show site when problems.

Hope it helps in some broad problems but basic guidelines for controlling a virus as I often see it as. Often track lamps changed on-site moving light lamps down by how many less hundred hours the lamps were able to be used until final melt down. This by crew or on-site labor even "Ronald McDonald" changing the lamps but not getting the above concepts. What caused the lamp to fail to why did it go bad often isn't often a concept in just changing it.

What caused it to go bad from lamp hours thru bad socket often is the problem. Over expected lamp life hours often another factor in modern burning hotter lamps.

Many at least movers expect a lamp life of 750 hours. Short of that, be concerned as to the cause of failure LEER. Longer of that lamp life be suspicious of the socket even if the lamp died a well "snowball" life in going dim.

Stuff like that. If only I could save various crews from installing perfectly good lamps a multitude of times into the same fixtures that have bad lamp sockets for the same reasons and with reduced hours I track.... Might have another assistant or two in helping me fix or build show gear. And or afford more people on-site were it not just a lamp to a mover (day wage for each on site on average) say one less person on-site that just installed a perfectly good lamp into a perfectly bad socket.

Again, good your noting of this - you have ability to train and or do your job as opposed to perhaps most that would note perhaps but mostly not question what you saw.

One of the things that we do in an emergency, is to reverse the lamp, so that the bad pin is in the good side of the socket and the good pin is in the bad side of the socket. The reasoning behind this move is that both the lamp and the socket are toast in any case. Some of the reasons for doing this are: There aren't any spare burners and a repair with a new socket would take too much time. It might be during a focus where labor is costly, and the burner can be changed before tech. Whatever the case may be, we always mark the yoke with a piece of white gaff and correct the porblem as soon as possible.
As I have found burners on ebay for a good price, I purchase a few so that I have spares. I keep several of each type of instrument with a lamp installed and paper and foam wrapped around the lamp secured by a rubber band. These are kept in the ME area and on the catwalk where appropriate. This really cuts down on crew time during focus and burnouts during shows. The real descipline is to keep the spares in good repair.

Tom Johnson

One of the things that we do in an emergency, is to reverse the lamp, so that the bad pin is in the good side of the socket and the good pin is in the bad side of the socket. The reasoning behind this move is that both the lamp and the socket are toast in any case. Some of the reasons for doing this are: There aren't any spare burners and a repair with a new socket would take too much time. It might be during a focus where labor is costly, and the burner can be changed before tech. Whatever the case may be, we always mark the yoke with a piece of white gaff and correct the porblem as soon as possible.
As I have found burners on ebay for a good price, I purchase a few so that I have spares. I keep several of each type of instrument with a lamp installed and paper and foam wrapped around the lamp secured by a rubber band. These are kept in the ME area and on the catwalk where appropriate. This really cuts down on crew time during focus and burnouts during shows. The real descipline is to keep the spares in good repair.

Tom Johnson

Just doesnt work if your using 750W HPL lamps.

Sorry but if if you removed a lamp and noted a bad lamp due to pins on it, why did you install a perfectly good lamp into the same fixture?

Just an education point in saving money in that you have hope given you noted a problem.

Lamp pins looking bad reflect the socket just as bad. Don't install a perfectly good lamp into a bad socket and if you do don't ever use it again unless you clean it for the arching that will be done.

Bad sockets are one thing in noting - like a virous once you replace the lamp socket but don't really - really clean the lamp in if "saving" it for use on another or even the same fixture.

Look at this concept as per a virous. Seen one case - possibly more. More than that don't trade the lamps or even re-install them short of treatment if even viable to do so. No trading of lamps between fixtures - ever short of cleaning, and no expectation of putting a perfectly good lamp into a perfectly bad socket will result in a even less lamp life of the one replaced.

Been thru this before... from a lamp buyer or manager standpoint in workable way with the tech person (the ones that note such things and care in general.) At times you gotta get the fixture working again by show time and installing a new lamp is the best option. Swapping lamps between fixtures even if going for the "known" working is mostly not the best option. Put a new sucker into the fixture but mark that fixture so by the next show it's replaced and or worked on.

Fair enough I think in getting a show up and running, yet not at times in the lamps I mostly deal with - a day wage for one of the crew in price - each time a perfectly good lamp is installed into a perfectly bad socet. That or in lamp to fixture swapping that causes endless problems also. Yes, Known working lamps is good to try for some fixtures and appropriate, but don't leave them in the fixture. This especially for incandescent or less expensive arc light sources. Otherwise for the high priced lamps, the new lamp has already been pre-tested and will work as well as a different fixture lamp. Only screws up another socket as a concept on show site when problems.

Hope it helps in some broad problems but basic guidelines for controlling a virus as I often see it as. Often track lamps changed on-site moving light lamps down by how many less hundred hours the lamps were able to be used until final melt down. This by crew or on-site labor even "Ronald McDonald" changing the lamps but not getting the above concepts. What caused the lamp to fail to why did it go bad often isn't often a concept in just changing it.

What caused it to go bad from lamp hours thru bad socket often is the problem. Over expected lamp life hours often another factor in modern burning hotter lamps.

Many at least movers expect a lamp life of 750 hours. Short of that, be concerned as to the cause of failure LEER. Longer of that lamp life be suspicious of the socket even if the lamp died a well "snowball" life in going dim.

Stuff like that. If only I could save various crews from installing perfectly good lamps a multitude of times into the same fixtures that have bad lamp sockets for the same reasons and with reduced hours I track.... Might have another assistant or two in helping me fix or build show gear. And or afford more people on-site were it not just a lamp to a mover (day wage for each on site on average) say one less person on-site that just installed a perfectly good lamp into a perfectly bad socket.

Again, good your noting of this - you have ability to train and or do your job as opposed to perhaps most that would note perhaps but mostly not question what you saw.

Could you, like, use some sort of sentence structure? I don't really understand what you're saying.

Also, I was talking about the things on the other side of the ceramic holder than the lamp.

Last edited:
Could you, like, use some sort of sentence structure? I don't really understand what you're saying.

Also, I was talking about the things on the other side of the ceramic holder than the lamp.

Ship makes sense to me, don't put good lamps in bad sockets. What I don't get is what you mean by the other side other than that lamp. Using the picture Derek posted, the ceramic holder is solid on 4 sides with the top and bottom having parts so I'd think the other side would be the underside where the connections are, or "the other side, other than the lamp" would start to get us up into the body of the light near the reflector, so I'm confused.

Ship makes sense to me, don't put good lamps in bad sockets. What I don't get is what you mean by the other side other than that lamp. Using the picture Derek posted, the ceramic holder is solid on 4 sides with the top and bottom having parts so I'd think the other side would be the underside where the connections are, or "the other side, other than the lamp" would start to get us up into the body of the light near the reflector, so I'm confused.

Oh, that's what was being said. Okay. I just couldn't figure out the message.

Yeah, I'm not going to put a good lamp in it before I put the new connectors into the ceramic base. You know, where the wires are, right? I'm talking about the very end of the wires that go into the ceramic part that the lamp is plugged into. Those are the connector sockets. One of them is melted.

Ship makes sense to me, don't put good lamps in bad sockets.

Ship makes solid sense to me too ;)

In fact, my crew is pulling down a 10K right now, because we can't get a DTY to fully seat down in the socket in a Mole. When changing the B.O.ed globe the juicer noticed it not seating properly. Since it's not on camera for this shot, we have time to swap fixtures.:grin:

Ship makes sense to me,

And be nice to Ship! He has far more knowledge and skill than you do (a general you) when it comes to lamps and electrics maintenance. Also, I dont have any problems understanding what is being said. Slow down and read, dont just rush thru.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back