bubbling water and smoke

Oh crap I just so live in the wrong country. I just can't buy stuff like that. It's probably illegal here because you can burn yourself on dry ice.
Bother.

Sorry ;-(

I must check all threads each day,

Sharyn

Sorry ;-(
Sharyn

Sharyn give up your life and stay here on line with the rest of us losers!!

Seriously Sharyn, that's awesome and sounds too good to be true. Have you used one personally? How much do you think it costs to produce say 10lbs of dry ice? The ad makes it sound like you just barely turn the tube on and you have an instant bag of dry ice... meaning a 50lb CO2 tank will last a LONG time. Is it only good for party supplies or can it generate enough dry ice to keep a pea souper happy too?

Last edited:
Sharyn give up your life and stay here on line with the rest of us losers!!
Seriously Sharyn, that's awesome and sounds too good to be true. Have you used one personally? How much do you think it costs to produce say 10lbs of dry ice? The ad makes it sound like you just barely turn the tube on and you have an instant bag of dry ice... meaning a 50lb CO2 tank will last a LONG time. Is it only good for party supplies or can it generate enough dry ice to keep a pea souper happy too?
From the looks of it, they do work, but they make "chipped" ice. Meaning that it will decipate very quickly in a pea souper. What makes pea soupers work best is eithe pellets or large chunks from a block. Their are commercially availble dry ice machines that make pellets, if you are at a university talk to your science department, they might have one.

The trick is to make a small wooden box with the size of the final block with a lid that you can press down to pack the ice, take the ice from the bag, pour it into the box, and pack the size block you want.

There is about a 25 percent efficiency so you do loose quite a bit of CO2, but it works quite well, I find it is easy/cheap to get co2 tanks refilled . I certainy would not use it to make ice for a food processing plant, but for effects

the trick is to pack it tight and for the block or size you want

Here are the commercial units

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/mfn.htm

Sharyn

Last edited:
I followed that link which led to this link http://www.frost-stick.com
They've two products that cost a little more but look more effiicent and look like you're getting more than a bag for your money. Plus they have a compressing tool to make 1.5 lb "pucks".

I'm finding this VERY intriguing. I've got to research local sources of liquid CO2.

From the looks of it, they do work, but they make "chipped" ice. Meaning that it will decipate very quickly in a pea souper. What makes pea soupers work best is eithe pellets or large chunks from a block. Their are commercially availble dry ice machines that make pellets, if you are at a university talk to your science department, they might have one.

Thanks for that tip. We are a small comunity college but the science department just had a big remodel and has a whole bunch of cool new expensive toys. Who knows maybe they have a dry ice maker.

I'm finding this VERY intriguing. I've got to research local sources of liquid CO2.
Name: Airgas Nor Pac
Phone: (206) 224-0433
Fax: (206) 623-2530
Address: 4401 Airport Way South,
Seattle, WA 98108

Phone: (206) 621-8400
Fax: (206) 621-1192
Address: 601 S. Andover Street,
Seattle, WA 98108-5222

Phone: (425) 453-8883
Fax: (425) 453-5991
Address: 1750-124th NE, Suite D,
Bellevue, WA 98005

Phone: (425) 487-3688
Fax: (425) 487-3247
Address: 14221 N.E. 190th,
Woodinville, WA 98072

Phone: (253) 872-8664
Fax: (253) 872-5274
Address: 22001 68th Ave., South,
Kent, WA 98032

the frost stick is cheaper, basically it is just hose and nozzle and you direct it into what ever you want. I tend to recommend the bag version since I have found that depending on the "age" of the person running the tank/tool there is a tendency to spray the stuff all around for "fun" and it can freeze burn people and things if you are not careful

Need to make sure you have siphon tank, these are marked,and have a tube that runs from the bottom of the tank so that you are getting liquid pushed out.
Sharyn

Phone: (206) 224-0433
Fax: (206) 623-2530
Address: 4401 Airport Way South,
Seattle, WA 98108
Phone: (206) 621-8400
Fax: (206) 621-1192
Address: 601 S. Andover Street,
Seattle, WA 98108-5222
Phone: (425) 453-8883
Fax: (425) 453-5991
Address: 1750-124th NE, Suite D,
Bellevue, WA 98005
Phone: (425) 487-3688
Fax: (425) 487-3247
Address: 14221 N.E. 190th,
Woodinville, WA 98072
Phone: (253) 872-8664
Fax: (253) 872-5274
Address: 22001 68th Ave., South,
Kent, WA 98032

Thanks Phil... I'm busy writing specs so every bit helps.

the frost stick is cheaper, basically it is just hose and nozzle and you direct it into what ever you want. I tend to recommend the bag version since I have found that depending on the "age" of the person running the tank/tool there is a tendency to spray the stuff all around for "fun" and it can freeze burn people and things if you are not careful
Need to make sure you have siphon tank, these are marked,and have a tube that runs from the bottom of the tank so that you are getting liquid pushed out.
Sharyn

Hey Sharyn, thanks for giving up your life and staying with us today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back