Loudspeakers Building 2 speakers

nd925a

I'm looking into building a couple of speakers for my young system. I currently own 2 phonic s710's and want bigger speakers but I don't like the few hundred dollar per speaker price. I realize I need bigger amps to drive them, etc.

I'm looking at mcmelectronics for the parts:
Woofer
Tweeter

I was also looking at a crossover but also found a pdf that gives you specs to build one:
Crossover.pdf

My question is, is this feasible/ am I using the right parts?

Thats basicly it. You will of course need some type of connector on the speaker box to connect your amp to.

The biggest thing you are forgetting is your enclosure. That also happens to be one of the most import parts. A poorly built cabinet can make great speakers sound like crap. The opposite is also true. There are designs out there on the net that will help you. I suggest you take a look at those or download some of the calculators out there.

Building speakers is fun. Its also a big learning experience. You probably aren't going to create that great of sounding speakers. Don't expect to do a bunch of pro level work with them. However, you will learn something and have something you can be proud of if you do it right. Go for it.

What does "Q" stand for in those calculators?
And do you have any recommendations?

I tried building a pair of speakers as a High School science project. This was back in the days before the Internet, so I read what I could find, spent what was to me a lot on materials and ended up with what were some of the crappiest sounding speakers ever. However, it was a valuable experience in that I started to learn how many things I had missed or misunderstood and just what can be involved in doing it right.

Even the best professional speaker designers spend a lot of time and effort tweaking and modifying their designs before they get a final product. That is one aspect that in terms of the instrumentation involved, the cost of materials and the time required can be very difficult for DIY projects. That is why there are probably two basic approaches, either take advantage of someone else having done much of that work for you or plan on a lot of trial and error. If this is something you want to rent or have others accept then there may be some value to using a 'name' design and building it yourself rather than it being completely DIY.

Bills designs have been the subject of a lot of discussions take a look at

PSW Sound Reinforcement Forums: LAB Lounge => Bill Fitzmaurice - Titan 48's & DR300's
I won't pretend to be a qualified speaker designer and many people seem to like Bill's designs, but he does have a tendency to pick and choose what aspects of the physics involved he pays attention to and to present data as fact without addressing how it was gathered or any relevant details, which leads me to believe that it potentially may be manipulated to create the desired result. He also tends to use the BFM support forums as a marketing tool, which is okay until it gets to the point of moderating dissenting views or opinions as noted in the PSW discussion.

I make absolutely no claims about his credibility. (he and I don't get along well )

However, he seems to have a large number of fans.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Bill's designs seem a little eccentric for my use.

And what is Q? The google gods don't like the way my brain works I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back