Building an Outdoor Set. Need Help

I designed and plan to build a stage 20" high (12'x32'). On top, varying flats along the back that are 10' high with a 8' tall 4x8 platform level for a 'second story.'

The location is at this field/park/venue that is grass. I am worried about safety, sinking, stability, weather, etc.

Can anyone give me any tips on keeping it secure and safe?

Thanks

---

under the stage use wood blocks or ply to give the footprint a larger driving force so you don't "stake" it into the ground. as far as weather, wind will not be your friend with the walls. If there is anyway to make them breathable that would be a good start, otherwise secure the hell out of them.

I've always done a 12" square pad of 3/4" ply under each leg when on grass, haven't had a problem with anything sinking yet. Take plenty of spare pads, including some of other material thicknesses so that you can use them as shims to level the stage - grass areas are rarely a true smooth and level surface. I've had to deal with 10" of fall across a stage not much bigger than yours. Doing a little reconnaissance with a laser level before load-in can be a good idea.

Usually a 1x4 brace from the back of the flats down to a 2x4 cleat screwed into the deck is sufficient as a wind brace, going out about half as far as they go up (roughly a 30-60-90 triangle), and putting a brace at each flat seam, roughly 4' apart. You might want to extend the deck upstage of the flat line far enough to accommodate the bracing. It depends on your situation, though - down in a valley surrounded by trees and buildings will see less wind than atop an open hill or ridge.

I've always used exterior latex paint front and back to seal the flats (my shows were two week runs), and that seemed to be fine. Exposed wood will suck in a lot of moisture and warp if you get rained on, better to spend a little more time painting in the shop than a lot of time fixing on site. Painting the undersides of the platforms is less important, unless they're flat on the ground, with no legs.

Make sure to check in advance if the site owner is fine with the platform legs or overall deck killing the grass. Even just laying a flat on the grass for a few minutes on a hot summer's day can be enough to shock the grass dormant, I've learned to keep things on the truck until they're ready to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back