Building DMX Cables

just a practical comment re the use of 5 wire cable with XLR connectors. Check the cable with the connectors. The cable diameter varies and XLRs from different manufacturers will not accept all cables soldfor DMX. I have found that Neutrik connectors accept the larger diameter cables.

Odd thing is that some of the better "2 pair" cable is actually not 2 pair, but one big twisted quad! If you are only using it for standard DMX, it does not really matter. However, if you intent to do some of that non-compliant stuff, like send a second universe down the other pair, you want to inspect a sample of the cable and see that there truly are two separate 2 wire pairs. Ideally, I like to see separate shields around each pair, but that's just me! The fact that DMX works great using CAT5 cable (in non-flex applications) which is not shielded at all, proves that is not a requirement.

Whatever you do, suppress the urge to use the second pair to double up the conductors on pins 2 & 3. My own take is to solder all unused conductors to pin one as that leaves no "strays" that may bite you later. The other alternative is to cap the unused wires with heat-shrink like Derek said.

derekleffew said:
I challenge you to cite any fixture, console, or device that utilizes the second pair for fixture talkback, or anything else for that matter.

As I remember it, early Vari*Lite 2c's and VL4's used pins 4 and 5 to transmit firmware code between fixtures for software upgrades.

As I remember it, early Vari*Lite 2c's and VL4's used pins 4 and 5 to transmit firmware code between fixtures for software upgrades.
It may have been pins 4&5, but it wasn't an XLR5 (IIRC they used an 9pin CPC connector, aka "SuperLamp cable") nor DMX512 (Series 200 fixtures could not listen to DMX without a DMX200).
Series 200 Components
VARI❋LITE® Series 200™ luminaires can be controlled with DMX512 protocol using a DMX200
interface unit. The DMX200 interface converts DMX512 protocol to Series 200 comm in order to
control these luminaires. The Series 200 ACS rack provides power to Series 200 luminaires through
Repeater units.
Spot luminaires: VL2C™
Wash luminaires: VL4™
Communication protocol: DMX512 via DMX200 unit
Lamp power: internal
Power: AC power from ACS rack

Last edited:
From the pdf cited here:
In a series of independent laboratory tests conducted
for ESTA’s DMX-over- Category 5 Cable Task Group,
cat 5 was found to be as suitable for DMX512 data
transmission as the recommended standard DMX512
cables. It should however be noted, that cat 5 cable is
Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) cable which needs to
be run inside a grounded metal duct or conduit to give
the same level of noise immunity as the recommended
types of DMX512 cable. A slightly more expensive form
of data cable, Shielded Twisted Pair (STP), is suitable
for use where ducts and conduits are not present or
practicable.

and from KnowledgeBase: DMX Over CAT 5 - Electronic Theatre Controls :
Suggested Wiring Practices

Do not run data signals next to or in the same conduit as high power sources. If necessary to be near these sources cross over them at 90 degrees or keep as much parallel distance between them as possible.
Use IDCs for all Category 5 cable applications.
Run in grounded metal conduit when there may be concern from nearby high power devices and/or situations where the structure of the cable may be compromised.
Plenum cable in plenum applications and also where physical damage may be a concern and conduit is not practical.

Ok, so I could either get the Accu-Cable @ $104/300', Gepco DS601<- Not listed as DMX @ $95 or maybe the MAXPRO DMX500MP @ $100 stuff.

So im thinking any DMX cable with shield and twisted are the same, like an a HDMI cable. You can buy the cheapest or the most expensive name brand, but still get the same results.

And thanks for all the help!

Ok, so I could either get the Accu-Cable @ $104/300', Gepco DS601<- Not listed as DMX @ $95 or maybe the MAXPRO DMX500MP @ $100 stuff.

So im thinking any DMX cable with shield and twisted are the same, like an a HDMI cable. You can buy the cheapest or the most expensive name brand, but still get the same results.

And thanks for all the help!

Kind of, Although I have noticed with the cheaper cable that it isn't nearly as durable as some others. I've found that over time as wrapping and unwrapping and just overall use will slowly deteriorate the individual wires as well as the outer jacket.

Ok, i guess i did think about that part of it. Good call!

I hope your overall time frame is at least 5 years? Cause my current cables have lasted almost 10 years now! Although I do keep them out of way. Put carpet over them instead of tape in walkways, or run them along the walls and clean them with water when muddy.

Avoid the Gepco DS601. 26g is too small (not for current, but for mechanical strength, purposes), and you want a braided, not foil, shield for durability.

Ok, i guess i did think about that part of it. Good call!

I hope your overall time frame is at least 5 years? Cause my current cables have lasted almost 10 years now! Although I do keep them out of way. Put carpet over them instead of tape in walkways, or run them along the walls and clean them with water when muddy.

actually the cables that broke or caused problems cause issues in 2 years and was from only about 20 uses, This was at a local College and were the last to be put in first to be pulled out kind of thing. So very, very careful with the cables.

Sorry, incorrect. I challenge you to cite any fixture, console, or device that utilizes the second pair for fixture talkback, or anything else for that matter.

Rosco/ET IPS dimmer bars and packs use pins 4/5 for talkback. One of the very few actual useful and compliant uses of pins 4/5.

They are no longer made by Rosco and ET doesn't exist anymore- I'm not sure if the current Philips/Strand S21 products that are descended from the IPS line still use pins 4/5.

-Todd

Rosco/ET IPS dimmer bars and packs use pins 4/5 for talkback. One of the very few actual useful and compliant uses of pins 4/5.

They are no longer made by Rosco and ET doesn't exist anymore- I'm not sure if the current Philips/Strand S21 products that are descended from the IPS line still use pins 4/5.

-Todd

Technically, there are no "compliant" uses for pins 4 and 5 according the the DMX standard. They were reserved for future use and that future use was never actually specified. So, technically, any use of pins 4 and 5 is not compliant with the DMX standard, much the same as using an XLR-3 connector is not compliant..

Technically, there are no "compliant" uses for pins 4 and 5 according the the DMX standard. They were reserved for future use and that future use was never actually specified. So, technically, any use of pins 4 and 5 is not compliant with the DMX standard, much the same as using an XLR-3 connector is not compliant..

Actually, the language in the ASNI E1.11 2004 document refers to the secondary data link as "optional"- and it is specified as another EIA-485-A data link. From Annex B of the standard:
"The original and 1990 versions of USITT DMX512 called out an “Optional Second Data Link.” There was no detailed guidance for it use. The majority of legacy systems did not use the second data link at all. Many uses of the second data link have been implemented over the years. While many of these were reasonable, a few uses clearly were not compliant with EIA-485-A. These uses vary in both their electrical requirements and in the data protocol used. One of the purposes of this standard is to regularize the use of the second data link . It is no longer possible to select a single implementation and forbid all others. However, not all historical uses will be allowed to continue."
Earlier versions of the DMX standard did not deal with pins 4/5 and left them as "reserved" but the current DMX-A standard does specify that they must be a data link. So the Rosco/ET products are compliant with the current standard (even if by chance, since they were designed before the DMX-A standard existed).

-Todd

I've asked this before and not received a satisfactory response:
What's the difference between an ET Bak Pak and a Strand Light Pack?

I don't know if this is the answer that you are looking for, but a few months back, I purchased a Strand Light Pack on ebay. I did so because the price was to good to pass, and it looked just like the ET Bak Pak, and I also wanted to get my first IGBT dimmer. I pulled an adhesive label from the unit, and underneath it is a ET Bak Pak.

Tom Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back