Bye-bye, hemp and sand: National Theatre in D.C.

ptero

I think the hemp system was only 1.5m atleast that's how I read it.

I too thought the number was really low-ball for the installation of a complete counterweight system. I would think a fair bit of engineering, perhaps even major structural alteration, might be necessary for the building to safely handle a counterweight system.

I don't know what the grid is like in there, and I wonder how much work they are currently doing with chain hoists.

WeLloyd, on a recent project, 39 motorized sets - mostly 200 pound 40 fpm - was just under $2m. That's around $50k per set. Counterweight runs $7k to 10k per set. Structural framing us always surprisingly inexpensive.

am guessing that was a big bite of the budget. but it will prove its worth long into the future.

It was about a 100k from what I remember. The firewall and part of the project ate up more money then the grid steel. Only hard part about the grid steel was they had to hang a grid... below our grid. After that it was just two guys and a drill rig for about 2 weeks solid. All they did was run more I-beams SL/SR to pick up the channel iron more often. I now have a stupidly large point load capacity on the channel iron without cribbing.... 1/2 ton ANYWHERE. I have 4' pieces of 2" sch 80 that I run around... I can hang just about anything I want off of those anywhere. It is nice not to have to bridle to only the wells like we used to.... and I never have to bridal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back