C-Clamps for Moving Lights

Catwalker

This may seem like a dumb question, but better safe than sorry, right? So, I want to hang a Chauvet Rogue R2 Spot. I have the brackets that come with the fixture. The C-Clamp says Max 500# on it. The Fixture is under 50#. My math skills would suggest that is sufficient, but are there factors that I have not taken into account? I don't understand rigging to a high standard, and would rather look dumb on the Internet than make a mistake like that.

Yeah, you're fine. That 500# limit should have a significant safety factor built in, but you're still well within the 5:1 ratio either way. Also if you're using two clamps (which is usual), you've actually got 950# of headroom. There are indeed some kinetic forces involved here, but not enough in this case for it to affect you. :)

Well, since you asked....

All of our current moving heads use the same Omega Bracket design. So the brackets are designed with the heaviest fixture in mind. We have a safety factor already figured in on the bracket rating, and as alluded to in the earlier post, most of the fixtures have a greater than 10x safety factor to the listed rating of the bracket.

So... With a 50# fixture with 2 brackets you are at 20:1 to the listed load capacity. Add to that the fact that the brackets are already derated, and you can see that you are actually well in excess of 20:1.

You are totally safe.

If you are subjecting the fixture to forces that will exceed a 20:1 load ratio, you're probably going to rip the head off before you drop it.

Thanks for the info. As a side note, those fixtures are very impressive. I knew they would be punchy coming in, but it's different seeing it in person!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, since you asked....

All of our current moving heads use the same Omega Bracket design. So the brackets are designed with the heaviest fixture in mind. We have a safety factor already figured in on the bracket rating, and as alluded to in the earlier post, most of the fixtures have a greater than 10x safety factor to the listed rating of the bracket.

So... With a 50# fixture with 2 brackets you are at 20:1 to the listed load capacity. Add to that the fact that the brackets are already derated, and you can see that you are actually well in excess of 20:1.

You are totally safe.

If you are subjecting the fixture to forces that will exceed a 20:1 load ratio, you're probably going to rip the head off before you drop it.

Do you have actual destructive testing data? Sure would be nice to see. The Mega clamp - our spec standard - has been tested and in a vertical load test fails - permanently deforms - over 5000 pounds. With a safe working load of 600 pounds, that's about an easy 8:1 design factor. A manufacturer's safe working load as a factor of the actual load at failure varies too much to rely on it in my experience.

Just to be clear; I don't think anyone is talking about a generic "C" clamp. (Iron casting without rating, shaped like a C with a threaded bolt and a lock screw.) In case someone in the future happens on this thread, there are some problems associated with generic C clamps.
One, is the lack of rating.
Two, is using such a clamp on a soft metal truss where the bolt can actually deform the metal and cause the clamp to loosen.
Most of these clamps have found their way into the dust-bin of history, but there are still a few around.

Just to be clear; I don't think anyone is talking about a generic "C" clamp. (Iron casting without rating, shaped like a C with a threaded bolt and a lock screw.) In case someone in the future happens on this thread, there are some problems associated with generic C clamps.
One, is the lack of rating.
Two, is using such a clamp on a soft metal truss where the bolt can actually deform the metal and cause the clamp to loosen.
Most of these clamps have found their way into the dust-bin of history, but there are still a few around.

There are still a ton of them around, most conventional fixtures still come with a generic c clamp if they come with a clamp at all. And most theaters still use them, there isn't much reason not to. I can't remember the last time I saw someone using them to hang fixtures on a piece of truss though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back