CD80 Riding on its Side

meatpopsicle

The show I'm on is carrying a coupble of CD80 Racks (24x2.4 and 6x12). Any body stored them on their side riding in a truck? Something tells me I should avoid this but...

What do you all think?

For months.

Just for curiosity, why would you think orientation affect them? I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't think that being sideways would be bad. Especially if they were powered down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should not hurt them. When they are on keep them horizontal to allow them to cool correctly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The only problem I see is getting it to it's side. Mark that Fragile everyway you can so they don't flip it hard.

for what its worth I believe that they were designed to be wall mounted (sideways)

I have three packs permanently installed this way with the breakers on the right side and the vents in a up and down orientation.
my biggest problem is that folks see them as a shelf units and block the top vent with "props".

The plexiglass cage that holds the chokes would be the part to worry about.

oops now i see its not "packs" but Racks we are talking about I need my reading glasses.

Last edited:
I'm with mstaylor, the damage is going to be getting them into a sideways orientation. Especially since usually things that lay on their side in trucks do that on top of other road crates.
As Porkchop is well aware, truck loaders aren't always the sharpest knives in the drawer. The phrase is,"Strong like bull, dumb like rock." This not always true but it is true enough you may get a dropped rack.

Its actually packs, not racks. My mistake.

Thanks for the opinions. We pack and unpack our truck every day. An electric truck on a feature or television show is basically a location lighting package that gets packed and unpacked by the electricians every day. One day I'll post pictures for you theatre and concert guys.

Transport vibration and impact shock would be the biggest concerns. As said before, on the back or front may be better than the side as there will be less torque on the modules when the case gets dropped.

It should be fine. There are no cards, only screws/nuts/bolts that could work loose, which could happen just as easily with the pack transported in "proper" orientation.

6469-cd80-riding-its-side-dimmer_cd80.jpg

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/20896-wire-woes-cd80-pack.html

meatpopsicle, are the dimmer packs in foam-lined cases or loose?

Attachments

• Dimmer_CD80.jpg
    Dimmer_CD80.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 616
Packs are designed to be used horizontally or wall mounted vertically (with fans oriented properly for cooling). There is no reason that they can’t exist vertically.
That being said, vibration from travel would be a concern no matter how they are oriented. We have more of these racks than I would care to count out there and a number of them do tour without problems. But, as just a personal preference, I would check all my gear before loading it out the first time and at convenient intervals along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back