Control/Dimming ChamSys Help??

dev

Hi everyone,

im fairly new to lighting and i need some help with the chamsys magic q software. I just have a few questions. thanks a lot.

Does the chamsys software have any restrictions in Demo mode?
How do you get the software out of Demo mode?
Is it functional with windows 7?
Is it reliable enough to use for theatrical lighting?
Is the enntec pro usb fully functional with it?
Is there any minimum specs necessary or recommended to use the software (i.e. increased ram, processor speed etc.) to make it more reliable/ functional
If i use an external display, will it affect the performance?
Does anyone recommend an inexpensive external touchscreen monitor?
Any tips using magicQ?

THANKS A TON!

Hi everyone,

im fairly new to lighting and i need some help with the chamsys magic q software. I just have a few questions. thanks a lot.

Does the chamsys software have any restrictions in Demo mode?
How do you get the software out of Demo mode?
Is it functional with windows 7?
Is it reliable enough to use for theatrical lighting?
Is the enntec pro usb fully functional with it?
Is there any minimum specs necessary or recommended to use the software (i.e. increased ram, processor speed etc.) to make it more reliable/ functional
If i use an external display, will it affect the performance?
Does anyone recommend an inexpensive external touchscreen monitor?
Any tips using magicQ?

THANKS A TON!

I can answer a few of your questions to the best of my ability and based on what I have noticed about the program.

1. All features work in demo mode.
2. There is no way to get it out; it will stay in demo mode...it will only work, however, with some sort of USB-->DMX Dongle.
3. Not sure about Windows 7...I use it on my mac
4. I have done 4 complete musicals on it - each with at least 150 lighting cues, and the most recent show with 2 moving lights - it always seems to work great! I also have done many small "talent show - like" events with the same 2 moving lights, and even in those settings, it works really well. The only think I notice that it isn't great at is live application/on the fly designing: mainly because you are using the mouse to move between functions and it takes a lot of time.
5. I am 95% positive that I have the USB Pro and it works great...that is the black one with a DMX input and a DMX output?
6. Again, I'm not sure about the minimum specs, since I run it on my mac.
7. Not sure about the display.
8. I do not have a specific product to recommend for a touchscreen monitor - but I do recommend getting one if you have the money. I have been using a normal monitor with a mouse, and, as I said above, there are times that it gets a little annoying.
9. Tips: Read the manual! It will help you immensely! I have noticed that the console doesn't always act as a standard theatre console would. For example, I have yet to find a window that will display the intensity values as they change during a live show. Also, editing cues is a little bit more of a pain than it would be on a standard console. But all in all, I believe that the program is a very strong program, and I love using it.

Hope some of this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions about it!

In "demo" mode, everything in the software works. It does hold you up on a few things things: midi in/out, any type of hardware control such as mouse pan/tilt, and it locks out the web remote. You are also limited to one universe on the open USB device. You can run unlimited artnet or shownet nodes in demo mode. To get it out of demo mode, you have to buy chamsys branded hardware that hook up to the USB port such as their USB widget or a programming wing.

I have done fairly large shows on this console on the PC version and it works fine as long as you are running it on a dedicated computer. Don't run it on a computer that you are doing other things with.

As far as hardware goes, if you are looking at getting a touchscreen, get an all in one PC that has a built in touchscreen. I have heard people having great success with using one of the Asus, HP, or MSI touch screen all in one PC's. Newegg.com - All-in-One PC,Multi-Touch Screen

Yeah, those all in ones are great and i would much rather have one than an external touchscreen, because i would be paying nearly the same price, but all new windows systems come with windows 7 and if chamsys is not supported for that os, i cant buy one, thats why i asked...

Yeah, those all in ones are great and i would much rather have one than an external touchscreen, because i would be paying nearly the same price, but all new windows systems come with windows 7 and if chamsys is not supported for that os, i cant buy one, thats why i asked...

I have been running chamsys on windows 7 for well over a year and a half without any issue. I have ran it on 7, Vista, XP, and Unbuntu without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back