Control/Dimming Chamsys MagicQ PC and Enttec Open DMX troubleshooting

wolfman005

First time poster,
New to MagicQ PC and the Entrec Open DMX, but according to an email I got when asking Chamsys how to connect them, the Enttec Open DMX is no longer supported by Magic Q PC. I was told I should just buy their dongle. Is this true or do they just want me to buy their dongle?
If it isn't true, can someone explain what I need to do? I can get the Open DMX to work with FreeStyler but I'd much rather use MagicQ. I can work with Freestyler if no other solutions are avalible.
I had a idea that if the Open DMX is no longer supported there could be a workaround. My idea is to have MagicQ output Art-Net to an app (on the same PC) that then converts the signal to DMX, however I know nothing about Art-Net. I do have a good handle on DMX. Does an app like this exist?
My applications for DMX controlled lighting vary. I DJ, run lighting for bands and other community events such as talent shows and school productions. Mostly I run 2 scanners and 4 LED pars.
Here is where it gets a bit sticky. Whatever solution you suggest must work on a ASUS Laptop running Windows 7, and work with the Enttec Open DMX dongle. Please don't suggest that I buy a new interface. I am planning on doing so in the future, but for now I'm using the Open DMX.
Sorry that was so wordy, I wasn't quite sure how to explain it all.
Thanks-
-Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Welcome!

I've just checked on my version of Magic Q and it does indeed seem that the Open DMX interface is no longer supported. The Pro version is, but the open version is not listed under the interfaces.

You may be able to download an older version of the software which does still have that feature enabled, but then again they may have removed those versions from their website.

In terms of outputting ArtNet, Magic Q cannot output ArtNet unless a Chamsys interface is connected (I'm 99% sure that's correct). Otherwise, you could download Magic Q, buy a cheap ArtNet interface and run all your shows - without Chamsys seeing any money at all!

If you're determined to stick with that interface then Freestyler it will have to be.

Failing that, stick the Open interface on eBay and get yourself another one. Now I can't quite remember how Magic Q deals with the Enttec Pro - I can't remember whether it's only the Chamsys interfaces that lift the 5 hour demo time limit. I'd say, sell the open DMX interface and get yourself the Magic DMX Pro interface. ChamSys :: MagicDMX It's $100 - which is the same price as the enttec pro and only 40 dollars more expensive than the open interface!

No app exists to convert ArtNet to DMX (that I know of anyway), for this you would buy a special ArtNet piece of hardware. Artistic License and ELC make some good ones.

Cheers!

Tom

EDIT: Actually I may stand corrected! It appears that Magic Q does output ArtNet even without any Chamsys hardware connceted - I hadn't realised that! Reading the FAQ it may also be that the 5 hour limitation only applies with their basic dongle - so with the enttec pro you could be OK. I'll also see if I can get Magic Q to work with my Open DMX dongle - just incase!

Last edited:
When I installed FreeStyler, there was a desktop shortcut called Art-Net to DMX that is created. If I run this little app without FreeStyler, it zeros all of the outgoing DMX Channels. It also lets me pick which universe in I want. It seems to me that FreeStyler uses this app to connect with the Dongle, but runs it in the background. When I run the app it says something about the network not being configured correctly and says 10.XX.XX.XX and if I understand correctly I should just set my IP Address to something with a 10 for the first two digits and then do the same for MagicQ PC. The only thing I can't figure out is if I need an app or a way to direct MagicQ PC to this app or if it will find it's way itself.

Chamsys has an magicDMX basic interface for under $20. I have one that lives in my laptop bag as a backup/emergency console/tester. It does have a 5 hour time limit, so if you do use it for show restart if between programming and show.

I think saying that MPC is a big step up from MagicQ is stretching it a bit. MPC (in my opinion) is a bit more user friendly, and nicer to look at. However, MagicQ has a lot of things at its disposal that MPC doesn't, such as native pixel mapping. I believe that MPC will work with any of the Enttec devices, and will also output one universe via art-net.

All that being said, I think looking at an upgrade for your Enttec device is probably your easiest and safest bet. It will give you access to a lot of software, but, yeah, that is another $40 bucks, assuming you can sell your current one. I picked up a give-away chamsys dongle, and it works really nicely, as long as you keep that five our time limit in mind.

I've never successfuly pushed artnet out of a program and into another running on the same computer. That is one of the reasons you see so many visualizers that have one computer for the dmx generation/console emulation, and another for the visualizer. If you do manage to get that to succeed, let us know! I'd be really interseted in how you got it to work.

I started downloading MPC before I left for school so I will check it out when I get home. As much as I would like to try pixel mapping, I don't really have a need for it yet. Hopefully someday but by then if I have enough gear to pixel map, I will be able to get a better dongle. And actually right now I can get a better dongle, but I like a good challenge.
I'm really certain I can out put art net from MagicQ into the other app, I just have to figure out what numbers need to go where. I'll let you know if/when it works and how. The people from Chamsys I talked to made it sound possible, but they just kept pushing that I should buy their dongle. Anyone know why they stopped supporting the Enttec Open DMX dongle?

The Open dongle uses the PC itself for timing the DMX signals. The Pro version has it's own internal clock. Because, in the case of the Open, the PC is doing both jobs of timing and dimming, it has trouble 'keeping up' with both jobs. You may find that as you control more than 32 channels that you'll notice the stepping in your lights as they change levels. The Pro version will gladly keep up with up to 512 channels.
You may also want to take a look at the DMX King product line. They are slightly less expensive than Enttec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back