chandelier??

lanixter

has anyone made a really big chandelier on the super cheap ? ,think ballroom scene in Sound of Music, I'm thinking recycled plastic water bottles and battery operated leds any ideas would be most appreciated

The "Drowsey Chaperone" Used a 1 dimensional cutout (foam core?) with a few sparklies on it to give the presence of a chandelier w/o it being an operational chandelier. Hit the sparklies with a pin spot and voila!

proxy.php

Ping pong balls and string is how we built that chandelier...

the B'way and Atlanta Tours were a bit smaller than Ping-Pong Balls, but great concept. I'll file that one away in my bow of tricks.

The "Drowsey Chaperone" Used a 1 dimensional cutout (foam core?) with a few sparklies on it to give the presence of a chandelier w/o it being an operational chandelier.

Are you talking about Broadway? I made that chandelier. It was built with a welded steel armature, cast resin bobeche and real crystal which had to be glued to the steel armature. It was labor intensive and expensive.
proxy.php

You can certainly use the concept of a flattened chandelier drawn in perspective with inexpensive material(I like the ping pong balls). Just be careful none of it comes off and hits someone in the head. One of the easist and cheapest ways we have made chandeliers is just a sheet of plexi wich is cut to shape and painted to look like the chandelier. I have seen the same thing done with muslin on a frame. Either can have small lights attached in back. You would be surprised how cheap strings of glass or acrylic crystal is from the right source(check ebay). Three pieces of plywood held together with cable and you can drape the crystal to get this kind of effect. We made these for White Christmas with steel but the same concept can be used to make a cheap and stunning chandelier. This chandelier is only 6 inches thick:
proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back