Changing Dimmer Assignments

Perfect; and absolutely still standard practice. https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/calling-cues.37864
Thanks! And that's a great thread. I only did three plays in college, but almost all of the problems/suggestions in that thread were part of my small experience. There were four of us on com, most of the time: the tech. dir., the lighting operator, the lighting preset operator (a job that a computer would do today), and sound (me). The other three were old hands, and were quite casual on the com. I mostly just listened. What I mostly listened to was a discussion about the physical appearances, genealogy, grooming, and eating habits of the actors. That started out pretty mild, but got fairly vulgar over time until, one day, the professor in charge of the Drama Department got on a headset none of us knew he had and simply said, "You should consider the possibility that more people are on this circuit than you think." There was some moderation of tone after that.

My two kids handled this well enough, last night. A big problem I created myself was that, as a ham operator, I use the phrase, "stand by" all the time, but I use it to mean, "wait a second while I do something." Last night, we kept restarting scenes at various points the director called for. When she did that, I needed to find the appropriate cue to reset to. Often, this would happen after I had called, "Warning" for some upcoming light cue. When the director said, "Stop, go back to when the princess enters and take it from there," I would reflexively say, "Stand by," while I flipped back in my annotated script, to find the right cue. This got me into dialogs like this:

Technical Director: Warning, Lights Nineteen.
Operator: Warning, Lights Nineteen.
TD: Stand by, Lights Nineteen.
OP: Stand by, Lights Nineteen.
TD: Lights Nineteen... Go!
OP: <executes Lights Nineteen>
TD: Good! Warning Lights Twenty.
OP: Warning, Lights Twenty.
Director: Stop, go back to when the princess enters and take it from there.
TD: Oh, heck. Stand by.
OP: Stand by, Lights Twenty.
TD: No, sorry. I means stand by while I find the cue.
OP: It's Lights Twenty.
TD: We're going back a couple.
Dir: Places!
TD: Oh, heck! Stand by.
OP: Which cue?
TD: Stand by, I'm finding it.
OP: Stand by what?

And so on. I really have to say that, for a thirteen-year-old, she showed remarkable grace under this pressure. (Heck, for a 43-year-old, it would have been remarkable.) Hams also say, "Wait one" in the same place where I say, "Stand by." Maybe I should try to adopt that phrase, instead.

Your next step is to remove yourself from the equation by drafting/recruiting/teaching a cue caller / stage manager.
What's that saying, "learn one, do one, teach one"?

The entire (adult) crew has been talking about this for weeks. Until now, no one really seemed to realize what a powerful lighting console our old Innovator was. That, and our brand new Soundcraft GB2 audio mixer add up to the core of a technically impressive performance space. The problem is that middle schoolers are mostly not up to mastering this much complicated technology, especially as an after-school activity (that is, you don't get course credit for it). The few that can master it are all eighth-graders. This means that, every single year, an eighth-grader who has mastered it must find a willing, capable seventh-grader who can take it on, teach them everything, and pass the baton to that seventh-grader upon graduation. To preserve that institutional knowledge, this must happen every single year. I'm not a teacher, but some of the other adults on this production are, and they have told me the harsh truth about middle school: there ain't no institutional knowledge in the student body, because the one-year window of opportunity through which it must pass is too small. In high schools, this happens, but not in middle schools. The only hope is for adults to do it, while trying our best to give as much of the work as we can to eager students who, every year (or two, at most) will need to be taught from scratch. I'm fine with that, if the school is (as it appears to be) okay with parents lingering around after their kids move on to high school. We actually have several parents on this production whose kids went to this middle school, but have since graduated.

Of course, this creates its own issues. People can become territorial, and not welcome the arrival of newcomers who are interested in the same territories. But, that's a problem in all social phenomena. We'll all just have to cope with it like the grown-ups we are :).

OK. If you have patched 1:1, and for instance Chanel 5 does not control the dimned receptacle (s) labeled 5, this is a completely different problem than I thought. Easiest answer, be sure it's 1:1 and re-label receptacles. A larger more comprehensive plan good go different directions, but definitely more expensive.

Try saying "Hold" instead of standby. "Relax" also works. ;)

I'll try "hold," I think. If I say "relax," my seventh-graders will take out their cell phones and start texting each other.

Our director has a "no cell phones on the stage" rule. Along the same lines, last night I instituted a "no cell phones in the booth" rule. During a long stretch between cues, my lighting op took out her cell phone and texted someone. I don't usually peek, but I could see she was actually replying to someone else's message, by saying, "I can't talk now cuz I'm in rehearsal." I'll take that as being within the spirit of the rule.

OK. If you have patched 1:1, and for instance Chanel 5 does not control the dimned receptacle (s) labeled 5, this is a completely different problem than I thought. Easiest answer, be sure it's 1:1 and re-label receptacles. A larger more comprehensive plan good go different directions, but definitely more expensive.
When this production wraps, I will see if there is interest among the rest of the adult crew in doing a sort of "lessons learned" review, towards the idea of proposing a general overhaul. It's a fine little theater, and I'd love to see it used at its full potential. But this is my first show in the space, so it would be difficult and intrusive for me to start telling everyone else what we needed to do. If there's a more general sentiment in favor of that overhaul, however, I'll try to help make it happen.

Try saying "Hold" instead of standby. "Relax" also works. ;)
I like "stand down" to cancel a "stand by."
-----
... but got fairly vulgar over time until, one day, the professor in charge of the Drama Department got on a headset none of us knew he had and simply said, "You should consider the possibility that more people are on this circuit than you think." There was some moderation of tone after that.
One of my maxims, "Don't say anything on com you wouldn't say center stage in front of an audience." Time to link to another thread: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/headset-etiquette.7124/

Last edited:
"Stand down" works, but the problem is really my ham-radio habit of using "stand by" to mean something it simply doesn't mean in a theatrical context. I just need to replace "stand by" in my personal argot with another phrase that will come easily to me, and that will mean, "wait a brief moment, I'm doing something and will get right back to you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back