Automated Fixtures Chauvet COLORado Wash Units

I'm trying to spec equipment for a new space on our campus where we are going with all LED sources. I had Selador Desire D40's spec'd. We have a vendor that is trying to sell me on the COLORado units.

Does anyone have any experience with the Chauvet's or has anyone seen them side by side with a Desire?

The similarities end with, they both expel light out of one end from LEDs. What are they being used for? What are your goals? What kind of console are you using? What other equipment are you using with them? What is your budget? What is your budget? What is your budget?

These two units are at complete opposite ends of the "LED wash" spectrum.

Do a search on here for LED wash units or LED PARs or similar. You will find hundreds of responses to these and similar units.

-Tim

I have room in the budget for the Desires. Its a small lecture hall/performance space (proscenium style seating 150). I want a general top wash with mixing capability. It will be run by an Element and also a Lutron automation system.
Front wash will be coming from 6 Source4 LED Lustr+.
There will be top light from whatever unit I decided on here.
We will also have a small cyc that will be lit using Altman Spectra Cyc 100's

He hasn't said specifically. I am pretty sure, however, that he's pushing one of the COLORado 1-Quad IP

I've posted some pretty in-depth opinions on this matter before so I'll preface this by saying this is the tip of the iceberg of where I stand on this topic.

If you're lighting people, I'd go with Selador. As one of the co-founders of Selador, Novella Smith, has said, you need color to see color. Selador covers the entirety of the color spectrum better with the several colors of emitters it has, so when you light up the many shade of skin tones people have and the colors of clothes/costumes they wear, Selador can light people up without giving them that distinct, sickly appearance of being lit with LED's.

A less expensive alternative may give some theaters suitable results because many are still supplementing their LED's with incandescent sources, which helps "fill in the gaps" -- both figuratively and literally -- fewer shades of LED's means larger gaps in the color spectrum of colors that are being under-represented. If you were supplementing your install with conventionals, you could potentially get away with a less expensive alternative, but it sounds like you're banking on the LED's being able to carry themselves on their own. If that's the case, this is a corner I would not attempt to cut.

The Colorado 1 Quads offer only an 11.5 degree beam spread which would be less than ideal for an overhead wash fixture.

Since your situation seems to be less than critical lighting wise, you might want to consider a fixture like the Tough Par Zoom RGBAW. It offers 10 to 40 beam spread, better color mixing than the Colorado and is about the same price as the Chauvet fixture.

I would think that since this is a full package for a new space you would be in a good position to demand a demo.

I'm trying to spec equipment for a new space on our campus where we are going with all LED sources. I had Selador Desire D40's spec'd. We have a vendor that is trying to sell me on the COLORado units.

Does anyone have any experience with the Chauvet's or has anyone seen them side by side with a Desire?
Barbizon did a demo for us last summer in our space with the COLORado and the Desires. I'll agree with the other posters that the additional LED colors of the ETC unit makes a huge difference in performance. Whether that difference is important in your application is something you need to determine.

I'd also caution that the Spectra Cycs, while overall a great value unit, are hampered by the lack of a white LED circuit. Getting pastel shades on our cyc is rarely satisfying.

The capital expense got shot down in the budget process so we ended up not making a purchase. Trying again this year.

The 11º of the Quads is killer. I spec'ed other units last year for my summer gig but the foundation didn't listen to us or the producers and decided to buy them locally from a dealer who does "theatre". Meanwhile, he was just talking about how he installed them recently in a night club. However, if you do get stuck with them somehow, I discovered that S4 Par lenses work wonders on widening the beam in a pinch. So if your budget ends up getting slashed and you have to go that route, include some of those into the bid.

I'd say go with the Desires, for the following reasons.

-You have the capital, go with the better unit. When are you going to get money again?
-You're front light is Selador. You will not have to think in two different styles, much better blending.
-You use the space for lectures. The Selador will give you much better quality on light on people and a much nicer white. And I think will be easier on peoples eyes when staring at them for hours with no change.
-You're using an ETC Element. With the color picker function and palette programming style, you wont be hindered by the 7 color LED system that can be quite cumbersome to use if you are forced to use an old Express(ion) style console.

-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back