Chauvet Maverick MK1 spot

TJCornish

So I'm shopping for some profile movers. I have seen the Maverick MK2 spot, but the website now shows the MK1 spot also. I can find no other information than the Chauvet page or the MK1 hybrid which is a completely different fixture.

Is the MK1 spot brand new? What's the price relative to the MK2 spot?

Thanks. @Ford or @Michael Graham anything you can share about these? Relative pricing compared to the MK2? Availability?

Thanks!
The MK1 Spot is a 350W cool white LED fixture with a CMY color mixing system (the MK2 has a CMY+CTO system). This fixture offers a rotating and static gobo wheel (the MK2 has two gobo wheels) and a 5:1 zoom with an extremely flat field (the MK2 has a 3:1 Zoom). The body is a little smaller than the MK2 spot and it weighs a little less. Its a killer fixture and will be shipping in a few months. for pricing, you need to contact your local dealer. We are also launching an MK3 Wash that will take brightness to a whole new level.

The MK1 Spot is a 350W cool white LED fixture with a CMY color mixing system (the MK2 has a CMY+CTO system). This fixture offers a rotating and static gobo wheel (the MK2 has two gobo wheels) and a 5:1 zoom with an extremely flat field (the MK2 has a 3:1 Zoom). The body is a little smaller than the MK2 spot and it weighs a little less. Its a killer fixture and will be shipping in a few months. for pricing, you need to contact your local dealer. We are also launching an MK3 Wash that will take brightness to a whole new level.
I have reached out to my dealer, but was hoping for a ballpark relative number compared to the MK2.

I have shows in early June I'm shopping for. Will this be too late for that?

Thanks!

My dealer indicated that MK1 spot pricing is around 20% less than MK2 spot pricing, with a June shipping timeframe.

I put in an order for a couple MK2 spots which fit my needs slightly better than the MK1, and the price difference was small enough it didn't make sense to compromise.

They definitely seem like nice fixtures. I was struck by how compact they are compared to the Rogue spots. The MK2s are slightly taller than the Rogue R1/R2 spots, but actually a smaller footprint.

Thanks TJ. On the pricing, I think it's closer to 25%. Keep in mind that the Mk1 has a much wider zoom range. Basically, we got feedback from folks who are looking for a fixture that can be used in an arena one night, and a hotel ballroom the next. So, we made a nice, bright, CMY fixture with fantastic optics. I hope you get a chance to Demo these later-on. I think you might like them.

-Ford

Thanks TJ. On the pricing, I think it's closer to 25%. Keep in mind that the Mk1 has a much wider zoom range. Basically, we got feedback from folks who are looking for a fixture that can be used in an arena one night, and a hotel ballroom the next. So, we made a nice, bright, CMY fixture with fantastic optics. I hope you get a chance to Demo these later-on. I think you might like them.

-Ford
Thanks Ford. I'm sure they are nice fixtures, but the June timeframe is a problem for me, and I work at the wide end most of the time so the narrow side of the zoom range isn't super critical not to mention the extra brightness of the MK2. I do hope I get to see them sometime.

Thanks!

Any updates on the performance of these? This is what I'm pegging for an upcoming LED conversion for a 600-seat proscenium theater...20' approx. trim heights and am comparing these to a few of the Elation spots and other similar profiles in the Chauvet Pro line. Looking at about a dozen for a high school/community PAC.

The MK1 spot is going to be perfect for this application. The MK2 spot might be a little overkill for this setting.

The MK1 spot is going to be perfect for this application. The MK2 spot might be a little overkill for this setting.

Thanks, I was also looking at the Elation Platinum Spot III LED; while I realize it is less powerful and doesn't have CMY mixing, I was going back-and-forth between whether I could get away with that but then have an extra $13K or so to pick up more fixtures with compared to the more expensive MK1 spot, but I'm falling in love with it the more I look and read.

I've installed a few of the Platinum Spot III Leds. They are a great light with a good range of features for the price point. My biggest gripe is that they do not have a built in CTO in the color wheel. Matching with incandescents, or going for that look is impossible without putting something of your own in.

I've installed a few of the Platinum Spot III Leds. They are a great light with a good range of features for the price point. My biggest gripe is that they do not have a built in CTO in the color wheel. Matching with incandescents, or going for that look is impossible without putting something of your own in.

How do you like the output, and how much do you miss color mixing from the Platinum Spots? Looking at the included color filters, I'm not too sure how much I'd be able to use those saturations/colors for any theatrical specials.

I'd really recommend color mixing for a 600 seat PAC. The concert/DJ colors in most fixed color wheels aren't appropriate. The only exception that I've found are the Rogue R2/R3 Spot from Chauvet which have some lighter colors - but even then those lack anything in the lavender range. A lot better than the limited color options in those Elation units though. The MK1 spot is a solid fixture for that size space, and while it doesn't get quite as wide as the MK2 spot (the zoom range starts much narrower which gives it the 5:1 vs 3:1 zoom) it's a good choice for sure. You can also check out the Rogue R3 spot if you think you can get away without the CMY though - it's got a 300W LED engine, zoom, 2 gobo wheels, 2 color wheels, iris, prism, and frost. If the colors are the same as the R2 Spot (@Michael Graham can you confirm?), there are two levels of CTO filters on one wheel that you can combine with some of the lighter colors on the other wheel with good results.

I think you'll really mix the color mixing if you get a fixture without it though.

I'd really recommend color mixing for a 600 seat PAC. The concert/DJ colors in most fixed color wheels aren't appropriate. The only exception that I've found are the Rogue R2/R3 Spot from Chauvet which have some lighter colors - but even then those lack anything in the lavender range. A lot better than the limited color options in those Elation units though. The MK1 spot is a solid fixture for that size space, and while it doesn't get quite as wide as the MK2 spot (the zoom range starts much narrower which gives it the 5:1 vs 3:1 zoom) it's a good choice for sure. You can also check out the Rogue R3 spot if you think you can get away without the CMY though - it's got a 300W LED engine, zoom, 2 gobo wheels, 2 color wheels, iris, prism, and frost. If the colors are the same as the R2 Spot (@Michael Graham can you confirm?), there are two levels of CTO filters on one wheel that you can combine with some of the lighter colors on the other wheel with good results.

I think you'll really mix the color mixing if you get a fixture without it though.

Yep, the Rogue R3 spot has the same colors and gobos in the same positions as the R2 spot. We did this so that installations and rental houses could add in the R3 spots into their inventory right next to the R2.

To add a monkey wrench, I've been eyeing up the increase power of the MK2 Spot? Would it be overkill output wise for an extra $1400 (approx.) over the MK1? We sit at roughly 20' trims on our electrics, and these would be supplementing a bunch of Series 2 Lustr+ LED Source Fours, Desire D60s, ColorSource Spots and PARs.

To add a monkey wrench, I've been eyeing up the increase power of the MK2 Spot? Would it be overkill output wise for an extra $1400 (approx.) over the MK1? We sit at roughly 20' trims on our electrics, and these would be supplementing a bunch of Series 2 Lustr+ LED Source Fours, Desire D60s, ColorSource Spots and PARs.

At that point, I think it comes down to feature set. The MK1 spot and MK2 spot have some differentiation’s that might help you make your decision. Check them out side by side at www.chsuvetprofessional.com. There are win points on both fixtures.

My suggestion to jump to the MK2 would not be for power - it would be for the variable CTO, both gobo wheels rotating, and the wider zoom. The MK1 may have a higher ratio of zoom (5:1 vs 3:1), but the MK2 gets wider - out to 37 degrees. It's also nice to have both gobo wheels rotate. I can't count the number of times that I've though "Oh, I'd love for this gobo to rotate! Oh wait... it's on the static wheel." You won't have that problem with the MK2 because both wheels rotate! The variable CTO is fantastic for getting warmer colors out of the color mixing and really allows you to create a warmer theatrical feel that many LDs desire. Oh, and yeah, the output jump is pretty great too.

As for reliability of the MK2 Spot (and most likely all the Mavericks as they're made in the same factory) - 8 units, well over a year since we got them, a few trips around the US on tours and also a few one-offs, and they're doing just fine. I'm also doing freelance programming a new venue right now that has well over 100 Mavericks of various flavors and they're all working 100%. Rock solid units, I highly recommend them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back