Control/Dimming Chauvet ShowXpress for Theaters

AsherSB

Hi,
I have been looking a t ShowXpress for use in a small theater. I don't mind the scene creation system, and the midi controller support is great, but my biggest issue is fade time. I can't find a dedicated control to change fade time between scenes/ques, a feature I cant really live without. ShowXpress fits the bill for everything else but that. Am I missing something in the software? or does that feature just not exist? I would also love some alternatives, other then Elation's show designer or MagicQ.

Thanks!

I have used the program before for a theater application and I do not recommend it. There is a way to change the fade time, but your options are to only have that one fade or a bump out. There isn't a way (and I could be wrong, but never found it and never received a different answer from the Chauvet Help Line) to set specific fades for each scene you create. The other problem I had was that it doesn't have a Mark feature and thus when you click out of a scene button everything shoots to Home Position, most of the time with intensity still on.

I'm a big Magic Q guy and the software has been great. For $150-200 for the Enttec dongle of your choice, it really can't be beat for the price and what it can do. Chauvet software is more for DJ type stuff and not so much theatre. You can even check out Martin M-PC that will also work with the Enttec.

I don't know how to change it in Chauvet, but I can say with certainty that adjusting fade times is possible (and simple) with other software.

I know showXpress is far from ideal, but the ability to map ques/scenes to a midi controller (like the apc mini) and play them back is really important. I just want a simple system like that, but with LED and mover support. I would go for a lp-600 series memory controller, but it's for pretty much conventionals only, and we are hoping to go full led soon. Price is also important, ideally under 600 including the midi controller.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back