Chinese stage collapse.

Weird how the entire group falls exactly at the same time and rate. That wasn't some braces collapsing one at a time. That was like an elevator drop.

Looks like one of the stages that can be raised or lowered to accommodate loading in a show at ground level and the main audience is actually on second floor. Hydraulics probably gave out

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I might be wrong, but in those single frame grabs, it appears that the rear row is moving faster than the front, that the height difference between the rows is getting smaller as they descend into the stage.

The "boom" when it hits bottom is a lot more delayed than I'd of suspected if they were falling the 15ish feet at 9.8 m/s/s. I tried looking up the venue, but couldn't find much there. It's amazing to me how much the internet links and rehosts to itself, especially considering this only happened a few days ago. Most of the links seem to corroborate that only 8 were injured.

If anyone else wants to take a crack- it's the Bijie Grand Theatre.

The "boom" when it hits bottom is a lot more delayed than I'd of suspected if they were falling the 15ish feet at 9.8 m/s/s. I tried looking up the venue, but couldn't find much there. It's amazing to me how much the internet links and rehosts to itself, especially considering this only happened a few days ago. Most of the links seem to corroborate that only 8 were injured.

If anyone else wants to take a crack- it's the Bijie Grand Theatre.

If it was a hydraulic failure like most of us seem to expect then it probably wouldn't be total free fall. Having to force the fluid out of the cylinders would slow it a little.

Since every opportunity is a Physics opportunity...

I timed the entire fall: 3.44 sec
The visible section: 1.53 sec
Approximated the visible section: 2.5m from highest head to when it's behind the stage wall.

KIMG0777.jpg KIMG0778.jpg KIMG0779.jpg KIMG0782.jpg

As we have proven using very bad estimation, the energy gained by the system to be dissipated though friction was immense; the amount per singer was rather small - no worse than jumping off an 8 foot platform, I'd wager:

Vf = sqrt[(1^2)+2(9.8)(2.2-0)]
= 6.5m/s

Ke= [60*(6.5^2)]/2
= 1267 J

Happy AP Testing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back