College Choosing a Major and Other questions

After nearly four years in the Marine Corps, it's time for me to move on with my life. I've always loved theater, especially the tech side of things, so that's where I've decided to move forward to. However, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here will be able to answer.

1) In the long run, will my military service help or hinder me? I'm guessing, in reality, it will probably not matter. But, I'd like to be certain.
2) I've narrowed my choice of schools down pretty well.The problem I'm having is choosing a major.What's the difference between a BA with emphasis in design/technology and a BFA with the same emphasis?
3)What's the difference between a BFA with an emphasis in production and one with an emphasis in design?

If someone could answer any or all of these questions, I'd be much obliged.

Your service probably won't help or hinder anything, though it may be beneficial at some point as it implies that you've got discipline and give/take orders well. In either case it shouldn't hurt you anyway. The difference between a BA and a BFA at least partially varies depending on where you go. Think of it as the master equivalent, I've always been told an MA is more in the books/academics and a MFA is more hands on/practical.

I don't rightly know what the difference between the two in practice would be. I assume one school offers the BA and another offers the BFA? Our field needs practical experience for a good education, you can't get it all just from the books. So compare and see what types of courses are required for each degree.

Between production and design, with design your focus would be on creative work, learning the art of designing for whatever field, lighting, scenic, etc. production would be more of the what is needed to get a show from concept to performance. Again, look through the required courses and other offerings and you should see some of where they differ, read descriptions and see which sounds most interesting to you.

Others feel free to correct me or refine what I've said if there are better explanations,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think your military service will probably help you getting work early on. It says a lot about you and should give you a little advantage over equally qualified applicants. This would be especially true if there is a direct connection from what you did in the military to what you want to do. For example if you worked with electronics it could be a big advantage getting a job in a repair shop.

That said, 10 years from now, no one will care about what degree you have or your military service. They will want to know where you worked and what you have done.

BFA typically implies a more artistic design focus. But every college is different. A BA program is usually more broad in it's focus, but it can have a lot of design in it. Try to talk to current students/recent grads about their experience in the degree to find out what really happens at that school. Ask us here about the schools, you never know who might be reading and able to give you a good opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I'm currently a student in a BFA Design/Technology program. At my school, the BAs focus more on the academic aspect of theatre, and overall take a broader approach to the field. As a BFA, I get hands on training in scenic, electrics (lights/sound), costuming, and stage management. After you complete basics of all of those courses, you move to your focus (mine is lighting). Additionally, BFAs in my program get to design shows, while I believe BAs don't except for a few exceptions here or there.

Ask us here about the schools, you never know who might be reading and able to give you a good opinion.

I've narrowed it down to Texas Christian University, St. Edward's University, or Stephen F. Austin State University. They're all Texas schools. Another question that just occurred to me: Does being a member of the Actor's Equity Union help at all on the production/design side of things? St. Edward's offers the ability to earn points towards my membership with them, although I'm not entirely certain what that means.

Union tech jobs are through IATSE not Equity. So membership is unlikely to help you much. If you want to be a local stage hand somewhere, then joining IATSE and starting to work your way up the seniority list is important. There is a test to take that most college students with a couple years of study in tech should be able to pass (some high school students may be able to pass it as well depending on how good your school's training was). Down the road if you get hired to work at a theater which is a union house you will be required to join a union (this aspect of the union works just like any other industry).

Be sure you go read the collaborative article: Getting a job in the industry a few times. Also read the other threads about college stickied to the top of the Education forum. It's full of a lot of great advice.

Last edited:
... Does being a member of the Actor's Equity Union help at all on the production/design side of things? ...
Since AEA represents only actors and stage managers, being a member will have no effect.

... Down the road if you get hired to work at a theater which is a union house you will be required to join a union (this aspect of the union works just like any other industry). ...
Unless you happen to be in one of the 24 "right to work" states.

... They're all Texas schools. ...
With all the great schools in southern CA, why would you want to go to university in TX?

Last edited:
What derekleffew said.
I don't know if you are at Camp Pendleton, Miramar or one of the other many places in San Diego where Marines happen to be.
SDSU and UCSD both have excellent programs. When I lived in San Diego County many moons ago, I'd always go to the theatrical productions at the schools. There is a really vibrant arts community in San Diego County - and plenty of work.

The DFW area does have a lot of arts/theatre stuff also - so it isn't a bad area either. But you should still consider San Diego - unless you really want to leave. I remember how expensive and crowded it was way back when.

If your looking to go to school in texas I would take a look at SMU, they have a really good undergrad program for theatrical design and technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back