Choosing moving lights

Soxred93

Hi, we're looking to get two moving lights for our venue. It's a 600 seat auditorium, with about a throw distance of 30 feet from the pole to the front of the stage (50 feet to the back). Our budget is up to $1000 for each one. At the least, it has to move and change colors. Gobos don't matter. 5-pin or 3-pin doesn't matter either; we'll find a way to do both.

I've looked at the Chauvet MiNSpot and MinWash, but I haven't heard much good reviews about them. I've also looked at the Martin Mania SCX-600 DMX Scanner (ELC-5) and the American DJ DJ Scan 250 EX 250W DMX Scanner, and despite looking very similar, there is a $600 dollar difference. This has made me nevous. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Humm
Sounds awfully dim to me.

Checking out the Martin web site - a 25 foot throw gives you 61 Foot Candles. a 30 foot throw would get you about 42 FC. This is not very much. If you have any kind of conventional fixtures running you probably will not see the thing. Especially if you have a saturated color.

The American DJ site does not give any photometric data.

These units are not intended for theatrical use. If you want to do a party ( IE they will be the only lights on) they might work - but they would be pretty dim. If you plan to have any conventional stage lighting on - they will be totally washed out.

As an example - a 26 degree ETC Source 4 even with the longest life 574 watt lamp puts out about 110 FC on a 30 foot throw. If you want to use a moving light in conjunction with your conventional fixtures, you want a lot more punch.

You might find something on the used market - but I don't think your budget is realistic for anything new.

John

I have to agree with everything JChenault said. Somewhere on this site there is a good thread for used lighting sources. [Edit by mod, Sources for Used Equipment.] You might want to look at that but even then, for $1000, keep your expectations low. While $1000 is a fair chunk of change and awful hard to get in any school situation, it might be a bit unrealistically low to get two fixtures. Look at the numbers JChenault put in his post. If you cannot beat the lumens by 50% or more you will probably end up disappointed. If the manufacturer does not post their photometric data, take that as a warning sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Our budget is up to $1000 for each one. At the least, it has to move and change colors. Gobos don't matter. ...
Two I-Cues and two color scrollers (plus power supply) fit the budget, and are likely to be more useful than any automated light you can buy, even on the used market, for $1000 each. See The Gafftaper Method.

Last edited:
I use 6 Chauvet Q Spot 300's currently and I am very happy. I would love some Martins but when you only have $1000.00 per light - these are great fixtures.

They have a decent throw, 2 gobo wheels (1 rotating) Prism Effect and Frost filter (so it can double as a wash fixture)

It also has UV and multiple colors (12 I think?)
Added feature I also like is they have a nice amber color /open frame set as the last frame on the second gobo wheel. I use this alot for my general overhead washes.

I reccomend these for you. What board are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back