• Believe it or not, this is the fifth major update of ControlBooth in the past 16 years. This new version is more mobile friendly, and brings the site up to more modern standards. There will be more features rolling out soon, but the core of the site is done.

Christmas twinkle lights

techieman33

i have a client who wants to have Christmas lights on a tree that can fade in and out throughout the show, has anyone plugged consumer lights into a dimmer? I don't think its a problem but i i have never tried it before.
If you use incandescent lights then it's not a problem. I've never had any luck with LED, but your mileage may vary.

JD

ahhhh... one problem. The light set may be below the dimmer's minimum capacity. Usually this is 50 to 100 watts and can easily be achieved by attaching a second ghost load to the channel, like a drop-light with an incandescent lamp in it.

Reactions: RonHebbard

DrewE

Plain incandescent Christmas lights, no problems (as stated above--keeping in mind dimmer load limitations on the lower and upper end). If the lights have some electronic twinkle or chase feature, they very likely won't work well with a dimmer.