ChromaQ ColorOne 100 dmx issue

jayvee

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with some ChromaQ ColorOne 100s that I've just integrated into my rig.

I am running 2.6 on my Ion, through a Net3 gateway. The 100s are part of a chain - they are the first and last instruments in the chain, with 7 Elation LevelQ7s between them. When I fire the chain up, the 100s flash intermittently, with no discernible pattern, but the Q7s are fine. I can control intensity and color on the 100s like normal. The chain is properly terminated.

There are three separate chains, each running from its own port on the gateways (two, two port Net3) and they are all exhibiting the same issue. When I plug straight into the console the problems disappear and I've used the 100s successfully in another space, on an Expression. So these things lead me to think the 100s don't like my gateway? What am I missing?

Just shooting in the dark, but do you have RDM turned on on the Ion or elsewhere in the system? The documentation for the ColorOne's doesn't mention any support (or lack thereof) for RDM, so possible that they're seeing those packets with some odd timing via the gateway and it's causing the flash?

Sounds like RDM flicker, seems like you may have it turned off on the ION, but not on the gateways. You can do this through the GCE or at the gateways themselves by tapping the button until you see the RDM information for that port. Then press and hold for 5 seconds to disable.

Sounds like RDM flicker, seems like you may have it turned off on the ION, but not on the gateways. You can do this through the GCE or at the gateways themselves by tapping the button until you see the RDM information for that port. Then press and hold for 5 seconds to disable.
I did have RDM on in both the ION and the gateways - I've now disabled at the console and both ports on both gateways. Issue persists.

Next step would be to check data speed of both the desk and the gateways, making sure the gateways are set to the same speed as the Ion, as you said you had no problems from that output.

EDIT. According to the information on this page, you may be looking at completely different data timings, even if set to the same mode, such as "Fast" : https://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Articles/DMX-Speed.aspx

It might be worth checking a few different timings to see what they play nice with.

Last edited:
I cross posted on the Eos programmers FB page and learned it was an RDM issue. Here is my followup:

Thanks!! I had disabled RDM at the gateways and the console. Retracing my steps now, the bottom check box was grayed put and checked. I re-enabeled, unchecked it, then everything magically works now. Why was that gray and still checked if I had disabled the gateways?

proxy.php

What software version are your gateways on?
GCE is only compatible with v6.0.1 and older. Even if you have older coded gateways, Net3 Concert has replaced GCE and it may be a good idea to switch to Net3 Concert.

What software version are your gateways on?
GCE is only compatible with v6.0.1 and older. Even if you have older coded gateways, Net3 Concert has replaced GCE and it may be a good idea to switch to Net3 Concert.
My gateways are version 6.0.0 - I plan to explore the Concert after I get through this tech/performance week. How do I upgrade the software on my gateways?

When installing Concert, a 2nd program called UpdaterAtor is also installed.
You can use UpdaterAtor to update gateways. The current version of UpdaterAtor is v5.2.0, Concert installs v5.1.0 I believe.
The most recent quickguide is attached, v4.4.0. Much of the basics are the same, the only major difference between v4.4.0 and v5.2.0/v5.1.0 are supported devices.
Also attached is the v5.2.0 release note. Please know that if you are wanting to upgrade to gateway software v7.0.0 or above you will need UpdaterAtor v5.2.0 or above.
You will need a connection to the internet to download the most recent gateway software. You can download the software from a different Windows PC and then save it to a USB drive to install on a different PC or console.
The most recent version of Net3 gateway software is v7.0.1. Note that Gateway software v7.0.0 and above don't support Net2 mode.

I would give yourself ample time to save configs and update/troubleshoot your gateways 1 at a time. I say update 1 at a time because the Gateway v6.0.1 and above software "fixes a vulnerability in the firmware update process for the Net3 Only varieties of ETC’s DMX/RDM gateway. When any version of firmware below 6.0.1 is loaded into ETC's gateways with Net3 only hardware, there was a small risk that the gateway would lose bootloader and require return to the factory for service."
You also want to make sure that your Gateways are in Net3 mode before updating. As you are able to configure these gateways in GCE, I'm assuming you are not using Net2 mode.

@HansH can likely correct me if I mis-wrote anything above.

Attachments

• UpdaterAtor_QuickGuide_v4.4.0_revA.pdf
    748.3 KB · Views: 1,989
  • UpdaterAtor_v5.2.0_RelNote_RevA.pdf
    275 KB · Views: 481
When installing Concert, a 2nd program called UpdaterAtor is also installed.
You can use UpdaterAtor to update gateways. The current version of UpdaterAtor is v5.2.0, Concert installs v5.1.0 I believe.
The most recent quickguide is attached, v4.4.0. Much of the basics are the same, the only major difference between v4.4.0 and v5.2.0/v5.1.0 are supported devices.
Also attached is the v5.2.0 release note. Please know that if you are wanting to upgrade to gateway software v7.0.0 or above you will need UpdaterAtor v5.2.0 or above.
You will need a connection to the internet to download the most recent gateway software. You can download the software from a different Windows PC and then save it to a USB drive to install on a different PC or console.
The most recent version of Net3 gateway software is v7.0.1. Note that Gateway software v7.0.0 and above don't support Net2 mode.

I would give yourself ample time to save configs and update/troubleshoot your gateways 1 at a time. I say update 1 at a time because the Gateway v6.0.1 and above software "fixes a vulnerability in the firmware update process for the Net3 Only varieties of ETC’s DMX/RDM gateway. When any version of firmware below 6.0.1 is loaded into ETC's gateways with Net3 only hardware, there was a small risk that the gateway would lose bootloader and require return to the factory for service."
You also want to make sure that your Gateways are in Net3 mode before updating. As you are able to configure these gateways in GCE, I'm assuming you are not using Net2 mode.

@HansH can likely correct me if I mis-wrote anything above.
You are just the best. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back