Cinderella Special Effects

TechD_Joel

Hi All,

I am working on R&H Cinderella, and am looking for ideas on a couple special effects.

1: The glowing broom
The godmother is holding the broom and "the end of the broom gleams like a shining star for a few seconds and then goes out." I have thought about leds in the handle, but I don't think they will be bright enough, and there is the power source to consider.

2: The magic appearing flower
"The godmother motions to an empty vase on the kitchen table and flowers appear in it."
I first thought of the old blooming flower bush magic trick, but they are really expensive, and I don't think it is quite the effect I want.

Any and all ideas are welcomed!

LEDs are plenty bright enough for a glowing broom. Power source is any battery although you may need to consider a LiFeP04 or NiCad battery to get the sustained current.

Is 7 dollars for a blooming flower really expensive?

Although I like sk8rsdad's blooming flower, if it were me trying to do the flower trick, I would modify it to be a flower box in a window. This way you can just cut the bottom out of it and have a techie behind the set slowly lift the flowers into position. ( I tend towards the low tech options)

Although I like sk8rsdad's blooming flower, if it were me trying to do the flower trick, I would modify it to be a flower box in a window. This way you can just cut the bottom out of it and have a techie behind the set slowly lift the flowers into position. ( I tend towards the low tech options)
Im with you, but the director wants "magic" (worst descriptive word in the world!) and the pot will be on a table downstage from the nearest set wall. Which means it has to be remote controlled... I was thinking about a spring loaded plate stuck to the bottom of the pot, but then how do I release it to pop the flowers up into view...

Instead of a spring loaded plate, you could put on top of the plunger end of a syringe under the plate , run hose down the table and off stage to a second syringe and use that as hydraulics.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Tex
Here is what I have come up with. I will try and post a video once the flowers are all on and everything is decorated.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

RC battery pack and motherboard, controls a motor with gearbox, that pulls the pin, which releases the spring loaded plate (which will soon have flowers in it).

I had to do this one a cpl of years back. I made a large vase to encase a cheap remote control model car. Ran a canvas belt around all wheels to form a belt and attached the bouquet of flowers to it. Forward, the come up, reverse they go down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back