Citing Images for Projections

peacefulone61

We are doing a presentation of the crucible that will have a large multi-media component. I was wondering if there were any guidelines for citing images that are being used. The majority of the images and film that will be using have been shot by the company but there will be some that are in public domain or archive footage. These are the images that we want to cite. Thank you for any suggestions.

If there isn't a program, or not enough space, I would put a sign at the entrances with applicable information. If you are free to use it, you don't need to cite it. If you are using images which are being used under license (either royalty or royalty free), the contract will state how you need to cite the images being used.

I have worked on a couple pretty big commercial theatre projects that draw heavily on archival sources so I have had to deal with this on a few different occasions. First of all, the biggest key is insuring you have a workflow and assetflow that keeps good tabs on content origins. We used a custom built FileMaker database on these projects to keep track of rights clearence and images that we just found on the web would always have their webloc file kept in the same directory as them at all times. Most of the content we used wasn't cited since everything was either public domain and thus did not legally require a citation or was licenses from something like Getty, AP, etc in which case no citation is required since we are paying for the rights and the license contract generally does not require that. A couple archival sources wanted a listing in the playbill and that was just listed as "Archival Media Sources: NBC, ..." in the back.

Additionally, I always insure that the producers take responsibility for all rights clearance issues. A couple weeks before the show goes into to tech I'll provide the producers with a document laying out everything that needs to be license and it is on them to make that happen. They can then come back and make me cut unlicensable content but at the end of the day I don't want to be the one who gets sued if something isn't cleared properly. I'm guessing you are working in a non-profit or educational context which makes things a little bit easier since things like fair use can be applied a little more generously. In general though, I would say that you shouldn't worry about citing all the different sources since you either don't have to or you have to actually license stuff in which case the licensor will specify how they want it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back