Cleaning Shared Safety Equipment

Smatticus

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions regarding methods for routine cleaning of shared safety equipment? What do you do in your shops to clean safety glasses, face shields, non-disposable hearing protection, respirators, helmets, etc between uses? Does anyone use germicidal UV lights? Germicidal wipes? Routine washing with soap and water in a sink or dishwasher? Anyone not really have a system and just leave it up to the germophobia of the next user like we currently do?

We all got our own hearing protection in college to make it easier, but for students coming and going we used disposable ear plugs and then had safety glasses and germicidal wipes to wipe them down before putting on, and taking off.

Via Tapatalk

When I worked at the college theatre I was picky about the safety gear. So I asked if I could have the same ones everytime. Eventually everything got a number and was assigned to people to cut down the the germ spreading, especially around winter time when everyone seemed to get deathly ill.

Many school science labs have a UV light cabinet for disinfecting goggles, and it should work too for safety glasses and ear muffs, it might be a squeeze to get a face shield in. You could either arrange to have access or should be able to easily request one for the shop being something that the school buys through their regular suppliers.

Thanks for the replies, I think just having germicidal wipes on hand is probably going to be most effective for us. We also use only disposable hearing protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back