Clear-Com HS-6 with RS-601

I know that's one solution, but that means it has to be re-turned on every time the system powers up each day (something some of my tech's won't remember to do) and then there's hiss going through the system constantly. I guess I was assuming that pressing the talk button on the handset would trigger the talk button on the beltpack.

What might be helpful is to establish an intercom test as part of your preshow routine / checklist. Each tech as part of their preset should be responsible for checking that their intercom is fully functional by testing it by speaking to the stage manager over headset. If you don't trust your techs to do this, make your stage manager or an assistant stage manager create and be responsible for making a physical checklist, listing each member who will be on headset. Before each show, they will physically check off each tech confirming who has checked their headset. The more you can make these types of things routine and part of good habit, the better off your crew will be.

~Dave

Back to my original point...I'm hearing the only way I can do what I'm trying is by locking on the talk button. Correct that there's no way for the handset to trigger this on?

Yes, this is the only way to work it.

By the way, welcome to Control Booth! Be sure to stop by the New Member Board and introduce yourself.

~Dave

Last edited:
Back to my original point...I'm hearing the only way I can do what I'm trying is by locking on the talk button. Correct that there's no way for the handset to trigger this on?

The RS-601 doesn't know or care what is attached to its headset port. It'll operate like a standard beltpack, where if you want to talk, you have to engage the talk button. The switch in the HS-6 handle opens and closes the microphone wiring. The ease of having a talk button in the handle of the phone is as good as it gets.

You aren't giving your techs much credit. If you can't trust them to operate the beltpack how do you give them a sound board or light board.

I suppose one could tape something over the button on the beltpack so it was always on, or just not turn off the Clearcom base state. All of the venues I've been in don't ever turn off the coms. But, you should probably be making sure everyone is in position before the show starts, so you could just add "Is your belt pack latched on?" to the checklist.

To me, if you do a com check, which is always a good idea, if they have to use two hands to make it operate it should be quite obvious to any tech they need to latch the beltpack. Of course you have to teach them initially what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back