Clear-Com rs-501/502 repair

Maxen

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on anyone who can repair some rs-501/502 belt packs? We're located in Central Texas, but so far everyone I've been in contact with doesn't provide repair work to these older units. We're a continually busy event space with neither the expertise or time to learn how to repair these older devices. We have 16 of them that are out of commission right now. We've bought quite a few of the new 701/702s as replacements, but if we could get these working for even half the cost of the new models, it could go a long way to helping our busy times. Just this past semester we had three venues in use by travelling/touring groups who each needed comm provided, but located at areas different then our built-in house areas, but working in conjunction with our in-house crews. Let's just say we pulled some rabbits our of hats and made some magic happen.

Depending on what's broken, they are really easy to fix. The most common problem I see is a jack wire is pulled out and needs to be re-soldered. Parts for those units might be harder to find, but with 16 broken I would think you could get at least half working by pulling from each other.

What does ClearCom say?

Are you in or adjacent to a large enough city to have a 'real' stereo repair shop?

75% of that work is going to be something that a competent solderer with a bench and a parts wall should be able to fix off hand -- especially if you have a portable CC power supply and a spare working box to loan him. If you have 16 units needing repair, it seems worth checking out those items to someone otherwise competent to do the repair work.

Of course, if you have 16 to fix, it's probably worth shipping them to someone somewhere who already has those tools, too...

It is my understanding they no longer repair the 501's. I needed one repaired and they declined. Managed to fix it myself by shotgun replacing an input IC... got lucky.
It's been a long time since I needed to a wired pack repair and didn't know they's stopped servicing the 500 series.

Remembered I found the 501 schematic when I did my repair...
Clearcom RS501 schematic.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back