Common generic barn door source

That’s about the price.

Blackwrap pinned into gel frame will be your cheapest. But not cost effective in the long run.

I'm looking for the best source for simple 4 flap 7.5" barn doors. $35 a piece is about the best price I've found so far. Thanks in advance.
@BC Theatre Guy If you're willing to go real down and dirty, you may try the following:
- Visit the aluminum foil oven liner section of your favorite decent sized supermarket.
- When they're on sale, pick up several packages of large, shallow, drip catching trays.
- Next hit Canadian Tire for one or two spray bombs of their cheapest, matte black, chimney pipe paint.
- Cut sections of the aluminum foil into sizes to make your own barn doors. Unless you have a box and pan break handy, use the square edge of your cabinet saw's iron table to help you form multiple bends along one edge of each door flap such that you can clip a flap on each side of a metal gel frame. Once you've completed cutting and folding the aluminum, spray on one or two coats of the cheapest matte black chimney paint you can find and allow plenty of time for drying. I've employed this technique to create single, double, triple and four flap doors upon demand whenever desperation sets in and I've fabricated them in sizes from inkies, through ETC's, Altmans and larger Berkey Colortran film studio units. Once you have your door flaps clipped on the side(s) of your metal colour frame, the fixture's frame holders will keep your flaps in place on your metal frame. You can still use the frame to hold colour as well if desired. Simply bend your doors in lieu of hinges. When the production is over, you can stack all of your door flaps in a box or drawer for re-use another day, or year.
Cheap, cheerful, and the materials can usually be found fairly close to home without needing to drive to Vancouver or Calgary.
EDIT: Thanks for the opportunity to write to a fellow Canadian, refer to Canadian Tire and spell colour with a 'U' in it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

If what you are trying to do is shape the light. Try simply putting some black wrap in the gel frame. This shapes the light Suprisingly well (although it is more than a little fidley)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back