Vintage Lighting Condition of fixtures

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
To those who collect old lighting fixtures:

Of course we can all dream of finding the un-restored, factory-original 1947 Leko in a barn that was only driven by a little old lady at church on Sundays; but "this is reality, Greg." When purchasing an antique fixture on say an auction site,;) what is your preferred condition:

1. Original condition, never updated. Only ever given preventative maintenance, if any at all. Dents and scratches add patina (aka expensive dirt).
  2. Asbestos abated. Fully restored to better than factory specification. Could be confidently used to light any show.
  3. Completely tricked out. Parts chromed, painted in custom scheme, ready for designers' showroom.

If the price of #1 is $25, would you be willing to pay $50 for #2?
How about $500 for #3?

How important is the original engine (socket)? How about an original lamp? Would you rather it came with a domestic bulb for living room use? Should any alterations be easy-reversible (first, do no harm)? Authenticity or usability?

Or should we just make them all into table lamps ? :twisted:

LekoLamp4-custom-size-214-285.jpg

Last edited:
I often buy older fixtures that are still useable because our auditorium doesn't have any spare cash! Same if I am buying them for my own use. So, when I buy old fixtures, I make sure they are useable or repairable, then find the least expensive option. Usually that means in original condition with original dirt, dents, and rust! Then I will spend the time to repair and clean them to return them to useable condition. I actually enjoy that process, so I don't spend any extra for fixtures that are already restored. Thanks to Mr. Ship, I don't have any trouble finding information about repairing/restoring old fixtures.

Typically the fixtures I buy are new enough that they are post-asbestos, so I don't worry about it. However, if buying older equipment, I do prefer that someone else has removed asbestos wiring.

I don't collect. Anything.

As such, I like to buy things that provide the best value. I don't care how it looks externally; I just need the internals to work.

Asbestos? I'm ok with dealing with it. Primarily it is an issue if it becomes airborne. Handled carefully, as we are dealing with leads, that shouldn't occur.

Last edited:
Okay, we usually frown on the posting of links to auction sites, but this one just takes the cake! Truly must be seen to be believed. What on earth are some people thinking?

This for a similar but rarer item is much more reasonable.:rolleyes:

Oh boy... I have 6 of those. I must be sitting on a small fortune! :rolleyes:

If I buy old fixtures; if for restoration, value, or just a conversation piece, I usually like them to be as original as possible (leads clipped is ok). If it has been painted or retrofitted, I usually pass. Same as if it's missing a lens. I also like to buy in identical groups of fours or more (so obviously I don't buy much -- anymore).

Re: "Reconditioned" Stage Lights????

I'm curious what "DMX bulb" means... :think:

Above 2 posts moved here from another location.

I'm not sure I trust the work of someone who uses the term "DMX bulb." Call me crazy, but I think $80 is too much for a freshly painted Altman 65 complete with bent yoke and (two-wire) asbestos tails. "Brand: clamp reads Gliegl No. 1850". L-O-L!

Last edited:

Above post moved here from another location.

I'm not sure I trust the work of someone who uses the term "DMX bulb." Call me crazy, but I think $80 is too much for a freshly painted Altman 65 complete with bent yoke and (two-wire) asbestos tails. "Brand: clamp reads Gliegl No. 1850". L-O-L!

Thanks for the move - makes better sense here. :)

Speaking of the clamp - did you notice the twist in it?

I wonder if the $80 gets you the nifty red gel, too?

...Speaking of the clamp - did you notice the twist in it?
Assuming you mean the off-axis of the pipe bolt, that's fairly common in most of the similar "Gliegl" clamps I've seen.

I'm curious what "DMX bulb" means... :think:

That may actually be a (ANSI code) DMX lamp! It looked like a DNW at first, but DMX is actually a 3200K version of the DNW. Output probably is comparable with a BTL, but at a much shorter lifespan.

Yeah, can't believe the price he wants for that "reconditioned" fixture! When you include shipping cost, I can buy a new 65Q for less than what he wants for this fixture.

That may actually be a (ANSI code) DMX lamp! It looked like a DNW at first, but DMX is actually a 3200K version of the DNW. Output probably is comparable with a BTL, but at a much shorter lifespan. ...
Well, I'll be darned! Never knew there was such a thing; but there it is in my 1970s GE lamp catalog. A 50 hour 500T20. Crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back