Connector advice

techieman33

For the last 25 years we have used a 5 pin xlr plug to control our orchestra lift. Last week when we plugged into the secondary control station it arced and we lost control of the lift temporarily. There was some dust on it since it is seldom used. And after 25 years the pins are just worn down and due for replacement. We would like to replace it with something unique. I'm sure when it was installed 5 pin xlr wasn't that common in theater, but now it is obviously. So we would like to avoid someone plugging dmx cable or anything else into it. Does anyone have any recommendations for something of a similar size or a little bigger that will hopefully be robust enough to last for several more years of getting plugged in and out 100 times a year?

That looks like it could work well, thanks.

Could you use cat 5? I would stick with DMX and label it very clearly, maybe put a cover over it?

Using cat 5 and an RJ45 plug wouldn't be robust enough. There is to much of a chance of the cable pulling out of the connector, or the retaining clip breaking and having connection issues. All of our shows load in and out on the lift, so the whole system needs to be very reliable. Halting a load in or out for 10 minutes while someone changes a connector is not something I want to have to worry about on a regular basis.

The connector on the lift itself is covered, and the wall panel is pretty clearly labeled. However, inexperienced stage hands can get carried away and think that just because something has the same connector style that they can plug into it. So if we're replacing all of the connectors anyway we might as well make them as idiot proof as possible.

Sorry to disagree, but for this usage I wouldn't use anything plastic with threads and even a metal connector with screw threads is bound to be cross-threaded by someone. Maybe use a 6-pin XLR like Neutrik NC6MXX with NC6FP1-1 or even an 8-pole SpeakON connector system.
Or for totally non-theatrical style the Hirose metal push-pull type; Mouser 798-Hr25A-7R-6S and matching 798-HR25A-7P-6P (they don't stock a 5-conductor version). Just my 2 cents.

What about the old style AP/EP connectors that have mostly been displaced by speakon? Can take serious current, and are pretty robust, if somewhat large.

Just use a 6 pin xlr so it won't mate.
proxy.php

I would put a meter on the connector you have now just to make sure what voltages you are dealing with. i know my lift control is high voltage (115v) which was surprising to me at the time.

As JD suggests, you can use a connector with more pins than necessary, and simply not wire the unnecessary pins. If 6- or 7-pin XLR cables don't seem proper (maybe you already have some in use as an RFU cable, or 2-channel intercom?), and if it is actually carrying 120V, you could look at 7-pin Socapex, which is often used for motors.

Conversely, you might pull the connector open and find that you only need four pins.

Amphenol EP 6 connectors are pretty robust, can be found with pins rated for up to 20A @ 200VAC, and are still common enough it won't be impossible to source rapidly if the worst happens. Also they're solder on so you don't need a $200 crimper to make pins. Down side could be that they are used in some audio setups so they might not be unique in your building and they are a good bit larger than an XLR connector.

Just use a 6 pin xlr so it won't mate.
proxy.php

I think if it looks anything like an XLR and that someone will try to still force it in.

Thanks for all the advice, unfortunately the only advice I was able to use was putting a meter on it. Turns out at some point one of the elevator companies that was contracted to maintain the lift "upgraded" the control circuit from low voltage to line voltage. So for the past however many years we've been plugging the little 5 pin xlr into a 110v circuit. Now I'm just grateful that nothing bad has ever happened. It's also only using 3 of the 5 conductors, so we are probably going to replace it with powercon true one.

Thanks for all the advice, unfortunately the only advice I was able to use was putting a meter on it. Turns out at some point one of the elevator companies that was contracted to maintain the lift "upgraded" the control circuit from low voltage to line voltage. So for the past however many years we've been plugging the little 5 pin xlr into a 110v circuit. Now I'm just grateful that nothing bad has ever happened. It's also only using 3 of the 5 conductors, so we are probably going to replace it with powercon true one.

I'd be wary of using a connector someone may mistake as regular power. What would happen if someone plugged some equipment into that? Would lift get very unhappy with life, or the gear, or both?

Just restating. The EP-6 connectors are rated for 200VAC (or more from some sources). If powercon is common in your building and EP-6 aren't they might work for you.
Also there's a 4 pole version (EP-4) that would almost certainly be unique. I've never seen that out in the wild so it might be hard so source in a rush if someone damages the connector.

Last edited:
Also there's a 4 pole version (EP-4) that would almost certainly be unique.

I know of a production company that uses a ton of EP-4. (1/4 motor cable, speaker cable for some older Clair products)

Not trying to be nit-picky, my point is that whatever OP picks has a chance of coming through. Do your due diligence and pick an uncommon connector, but give your hands a little credit and label it well.

Personally, I'd pick something from Amphenol's MIL5015 series.

I would go with the PowerCon true one, clearly labeled. I dislike, due to the metal shell the EP-4 and the AMP MIL5015 series.

I would go with the PowerCon true one, clearly labeled. I dislike, due to the metal shell the EP-4 and the AMP MIL5015 series.

This is probably the best answer, anything using a power-con true one will be able to take 120V, so if someone does plug in a moving light, there will hopefully not be a catastrophic failure. Now if someone plugs in a speaker to an EP6 carrying 120v, the speakers not going to fair well, but it going to look really cool, and sound really bad for about 20 seconds.

If it really bugs you, you cold mount this connector in a box that also has an additional disconnect switch, so even if you plug something in to the jack, you still have to flip the switch to blow it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back