Console Placement

JLang76

In our space we have the ability to run our sound console from either in the back of the house, or a booth at the complete rear of the auditorium (behind 2 lecture halls with airwalls that open). For plays, I have found it to be FAR easier to mix from the back of house space, as you know for a fact that you are hearing EXACTLY what the audience is hearing. Being in that location also allows for much greater organization, because there is nothing irrelevant that needs to be stored anywhere near the console.

Another thing worth mentioning is that as sound designer I planned to install 2 speakers in the rear of house to play around with surround sound for a few effects. I was going to put the amps underneath the mixing table, then just run direct to the speakers. With the board in the booth, I really would not be able to do this easily, I would need to either run all the cabling for each rehearsal/show, or put the cabling out the door into the ceiling in the hall, then in the door of the house (meaning it could not close all the way), and then actually into the speakers.

I planned that we would move the console into the house again for the show this year and set everything up the other day. The stage manager (who does have audio experience) proceeded to flip out the next day, saying that having the board there "ruins the magic" of the show, and that the op can just use headphones "like a professional." What do you guys think? Personally, I'm a big fan of the house location, but I understand his argument to an extent.

Last edited:
In our space we have the ability to run our sound console from either in the back of the house, or a booth at the complete rear of the auditorium (behind 2 lecture halls with airwalls that open). For plays, I have found it to be FAR easier to mix from the back of house space, as you know for a fact that you are hearing EXACTLY what the audience is hearing. Being in that location also allows for much greater organization, because there is nothing irrelevant that needs to be stored anywhere near the console.

Another thing worth mentioning is that as sound designer I planned to install 2 speakers in the rear of house to play around with surround sound for a few effects. I was going to put the amps underneath the mixing table, then just run direct to the speakers. With the board in the booth, I really would not be able to do this, I would need to either run all the cabling for each rehearsal/show, or put the cabling out the door into the ceiling in the hall, then in the door of the house (meaning it could not close all the way), and then actually into the speakers.

I planned that we would move the console into the house again for the show this year and set everything up the other day. The stage manager (who does have audio experience) proceeded to flip out the next day, saying that having the board there "ruins the magic" of the show, and that the op can just use headphones "like a professional." What do you guys think? Personally, I'm a big fan of the house location, but I understand his argument to an extent.
@JLang76 I'm with you. Sit where you can hear. If that means you can see too, even better. Are you planning on issuing headphones to all patrons? No, of course not! Then why would anyone suggest you'd mix with headphones?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Another thing worth mentioning is that as sound designer I planned to install 2 speakers in the rear of house to play around with surround sound for a few effects. I was going to put the amps underneath the mixing table, then just run direct to the speakers. With the board in the booth, I really would not be able to do this easily, I would need to either run all the cabling for each rehearsal/show, or put the cabling out the door into the ceiling in the hall, then in the door of the house (meaning it could not close all the way), and then actually into the speakers.

It does not ruin the magic. I don’t know if your stage manager has been to a broadway show at all but typically the sound “booth” is in a box somewhere house left or right or even tucked away in a corner in the house. It’s not a booth keep in mind. The only thing ever in a booth on broadway from my experience is projectors lightborad or spot ops. You could always run the cable on the floor as well and gaff it down

If the sound guy's not happy -- nobody's happy. Mix from the house whenever/wherever possible.

The only time it ruins the magic is when the show is so awful or uninteresting that the audience's minds are left wandering instead of watching the show. If people are thinking about the sound op, that's the symptom of a bigger problem -- not the cause.

I hate sitting behind a mix position and it's much more than just a poor show. The equipment lights are distracting and the operators heads usually stick up too high. In short they are rarely done well and will impact many rows behind them.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. Good to know I'm not too crazy.
@RickR I agree with you for most situations but that's not really the case here. The only audience seats behind the mixer would be the lecture hall, which typically ends up with around 30 audience (out of 6-700 total). Those halls are raised about 2 feet with divider wall, so heads and equipment lights would have minimal impact.

The stage manager has obviously never done sound for a live performance ...
As everyone else has mentioned, if you can't hear what the audiences is hearing, it's a crapshoot as to whether you will be able to provide good sound for the show.

Modern technology has untethered us from the sound table with iPads, so I would also suggest that if possible get a board that has an iPad app to accompany it, then you can do a lot of your pre-show work by wandering around the theater to different audience seating positions as you mix, so you can hear what it sounds like from different locations in the house. The sound board in the rear of the house is better than up in a the stage mgr booth, but it is not as good as in the middle of the house away from the walls.

I’ve done shows before when I’ve been forced to mix from a booth and the result has been that the auditorium has sounded completely different to the booth in a negative way. Booth monitors didn’t even help much. They didnt accurately replicate the EQ of the room even after a lot of tweaking on the desk. What’s more, if you have a live band in the auditorium then they can appear louder or quieter inside the booth than in the house due to their ambient noise (even with ambient mics positioned out in the house). Long story short: mix from the house. If your SM is worried about spoiling the magic through the audience being able to see you: dim the house lights and go and sit on the back rows with all your equipment powered up. If the light from your kit is distracting then it might just be worth adjusting your setup accordingly (eg. Place blacks in strategic positions etc.). I second @jkowtko’s point about iPad mixing. Even with a house mix position, being able to walk around and adjust your sound to the house is invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back