Constant Circuit Module?? What is it?

jfremm

I'm wondering if someone can inform me what a constant circuit module is?

The school district I am employed with is upgrading our current Altman 3 Cell cycloramas to Altman's Spectra LED Series 100 Watt fixtures. I received a quote from a lighting company for the fixtures, but was also notified a constant circuit module would be needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A constant circuit module is a replacement dimmer module that provides constant (i.e. non-dimmable) power to whatever you have plugged in. The reasons being is that dimmer modules can mess with the electronics in LED/moving head fixtures.

Basically, a plate of metal with circuit breakers that tuns the outputs on those channels into regular power outlets. Fancy name, that's all.

But better practice is to use relay modules, so you can repower the fixtures. Leaving them on constantly will shorten their life and use power. Having to go to dimmer bank and switch off circuit breakers is a PITA.
As in REAL RELAYS that go "click", not dimmers parked at 100% or even relays modules that use SSRs for switching. Both of those create distortion in the waveform. Keep it clean!

As in REAL RELAYS that go "click", not dimmers parked at 100% or even relays modules that use SSRs for switching. Both of those create distortion in the waveform. Keep it clean!

:excitable: I cannot stress how important this is! For one thing, parked dimmers can always be un-parked. While relay modules that use SSRs for switching would seem okay because of the inability to dim, the distortion in the waveform can still cause issues. The part that normally fails in a unit, be it an LED, moving head, or accessory power supply, is the power supply module in the unit that powers the electronics. They are designed for and meant to be powered with clean AC. While they are being improved to better withstand variances in an AC signal, they still don't like it. When they get power, they expect a certain waveform. If they don't see that, they can get stuck in a start up cycle that will eventually kill the power supply module. It may be rather quickly, if it was actually dimmed, or a prolonged death, if it was just not getting clean AC.

I have seen a decent number of our products come back to me for repair that have had power supply issues. The thing is, power supply modules typically don't "just fail" unless they are really old. In the past we have sent some modules back to the manufacturer for a failure analysis report. They are able to tell if it was not seeing clean AC/on a dimmer. They have told us which one or both of two components will fail. That means we can pop the cover and tell that you "forgot:liar:" to mention that you had it on a dimmed/dimmable source and we don't have to honor the warranty!:evil:

Seriously, if it says "Do NOT plug into dimmed sources", don't do it!!!!

Not sure what I'm missing but their relay module is an air gap or mechanical relay, not an SSR.
You are correct, we do not have, and have not had in a long time, relay modules that use SSRs. We did have non-dim modules in the L86 line of dimmers that used SSRs, but that was replaced by Sensor in the mid-90s [as some jobs still shipped L86 after Sensor released in 1992]. Did we advise people to use dimmer modules for switched load applications? Yes, but we changed that message quite a long time ago.

The new ThruPower modules are a dimmer and relay on each channel but when you select a relay function, that's what operates and the power is clean. It's a great solution for transition from dimmed to non-dimmed loads but it is not as cheap as some other modules. One just needs to choose what one needs to have.

I do also recommend a relay or TP module as opposed to a CC module. When a dimmer is off, the tungsten lamp is not active. When DMX is down on a LED fixture, there's no light coming out but the power supply and electronics are still running. As I have stated in other posts, protect your LED investment and place them on relays. It's a smart move.

David

There are also other relay controlled breakers/switches, that are purpose made for LED and Moving light power. They can be configured many ways with DMX control. They can be set up to power the rig down a set time after the loss of dmx, or by a particular channel. These are a good choice for installs, where you need very few dimmed circuits, or even no dimmers at all. Changing dimmer modules out for relays, is handy if you already have dimming running throughout your space, and especially if you hang new plots often. The down side, at least in the US, is being limited to 120v fixtures, though its not a problem for virtually all LED Luminaries.

To the OP, a whole pipe of LED cyc fixtures may be only one circuit, probably two at most, so if you have a dimmer rack with plug in modules, a single relay module is probably the least expensive option, not requiring an electrician even. The fact that the dealer suggested a constant module leads me to think you might have plug in modules, but a relay module is still highly recommended.

If replacing a module turns out to not be a viable option, figure out if you need one or two circuits, and just have them installed. This also allows you to have a receptacle that is different from the dimmed receptacles for the LEDs, preventing them from easily being connected to a dimmed circuit. These could be constant but adding a dmx relay module would be nice. So many variables to some of these detail choices, like is the pipe flown or fixed and are there plans for more LEDs justifying a whole relay panel rather than just two circuits worth, make it hard to offer specific recommendations. I wish I was closer and could give you an hour to look and help but a far drive. Provide enough details and might be able to help more long distance.

The new ThruPower modules are a dimmer and relay on each channel but when you select a relay function, that's what operates and the power is clean. It's a great solution for transition from dimmed to non-dimmed loads but it is not as cheap as some other modules. One just needs to choose what one needs to have.

A word of caution on ThruPower modules. The relay function is only available with a CEM3. If you have a CEM or CEM+ then it behaves either as a D20 or an expensive CC20 with manual switches on the dimmer module, but the relay cannot be controlled via a console or rack preset.

A word of caution on ThruPower modules. The relay function is only available with a CEM3. If you have a CEM or CEM+ then it behaves either as a D20 or an expensive CC20 with manual switches on the dimmer module, but the relay cannot be controlled via a console or rack preset.

Very valid point!! Same to be said for MikeJ and Bill as there are many options and we don't know what system the OP has. Thanks for the focus.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back