Career Advice Continue working, go to school, or both?

MrMagLit

Hey CB, sorry if this is a repeat of similar threads. I know it's a common story, but I figured that ever situation is different so it's worth making my own. Please feel free to refer me elsewhere if I'm clogging the forum!

So, I'm half way through grade eleven at this point. I'm an intern technician for a local theatre, volunteer technician for another, and lead tech at my high school. Recently, I was hired to work for a professional sound installation, contractor, and rentals company that operates on my side of the country. For the most part, my duties are to look after a small theatre that is owned by the city, who's contracted the company to run it. Sometimes I also find myself doing repairs to the rentals inventory in the local office.

It's a large company that is known for their installs in most of the larger venues in the area. The management team seems to like the work I do and they want me to continue as a full-time employee with them after graduation. Additionally, the local theatre that I'm an intern at would like to hire me out of high school.

I think I've gotten a fair kickstart in the industry for my age, but I'm not sure if I should just keep working after high school, or go to university. I guess it's the classic experience versus education debate, so I was hoping for some wiser opinions.

My area of expertise has always been electronics. I'm a hobbyist in my spare time. Does anyone know if an electrical engineering degree is practical in this industry, or an overkill waste of time/money?

Thanks!

It really depends on where you want to end up and how you are going to pay for college. Are you parents willing to pay for school so you will graduate debt free or close to that? If the answer to that is yes, then go to school. If the answer is you will graduate with more then 15k in debt then keep working and keep learning on the job. It also depends on what you want your end game to be. Do you want to be a boot on the ground getting a show up, be the guy designing gear in an R&D lab, or be the guy doing the prints so the guys on the ground know whats up?

It really depends on where you want to end up and how you are going to pay for college. Are you parents willing to pay for school so you will graduate debt free or close to that? If the answer to that is yes, then go to school. If the answer is you will graduate with more then 15k in debt then keep working and keep learning on the job. It also depends on what you want your end game to be. Do you want to be a boot on the ground getting a show up, be the guy designing gear in an R&D lab, or be the guy doing the prints so the guys on the ground know whats up?
That makes sense. Not sure what I'd like to do yet, but my parents can pay for my undergraduate degree, so school is looking attractive. Thank you for the advice!

It's not a waste of time at all! An EE degree can open so many more doors for you in theatre. It's probably not the best way to start your career if you want to design shows on broadway, but if you just enjoy theatre and enjoy electronics then I think it's the way to go.

I faced a very similar situation when I was in 11th grade. I loved theatre, was interning for a local community theater and really kicking butt at doing some lighting. I loved the technology, the electricity, the art, the people, the stage. I was totally on board with it. The problem was that I also loved computer programming, which isn't really anything like theatre. I thought I would have to give up one or the other and it was really hard for me to decide. But then a friend told me something really incredible. There will always be theaters that want and will appreciate your help as a patron, volunteer, part time designer, what ever. Where ever you go there are opportunities to do theatre. And, who do you think makes all of that cool technology you like? They don't fall off of trees.

I did a lot more thinking and really struggled with that decision. But I realized that even if I'm really talented at lighting it will be a struggle to find a stable job / income where I want and be able to live the lifestyle I wanted. It's not that it's impossible, obviously there are a few people around here that do it. But I loved Computer Science just as much, it would be easier to find employment, and I would probably make more money. Life isn't about money to me, but knowing that my student debt and rent will be much easier to deal with is very comforting. I was still torn about what to do though. Because it still meant giving up theatre to me. Then I remembered the second thing my friend said to me. Someone has to make those light and lighting controllers. And so I started looking at computer science jobs that were also theatrical.

As just a few and very incomplete list of people who hire engineers in the lighting industry: Martin, Robe, Clay Paky, Blizzard lighting, Electronic Theatre Controls, MA Lighting, High End Systems, Doug Fleenor Design, Rosco, Apollo, American DJ, Chauvet, ... In fact. You could just look at this list.

http://www.ldishow.com/ldi16/Public/Exhibitors.aspx?ID=1063096&sortMenu=109003

Most, or at least a lot, of the companies on that list paid an engineer to make their products. And some of them offer paid student internships to college students.

Additionally, focusing more on the artistic side of things here, I have never been short of opportunities to work on lighting as an engineer. The theaters in my home town really appreciate my help and I have great friends their because of it. Any time someone there has a really tricky problem I'm pretty good about being able to show up and help them trouble shoot it. And they call me. At the road house in my town I like to go and help on load-ins. The fact that I understand the technology pretty well allows me to work on the crew I want and the people really appreciate my help when something just doesn't quite make sense.

At my school I have never been turned away for wanting to help with a show. And if I really wanted to I'm sure I could try to find a job doing summer stock or in a lighting shop, which I would probably enjoy.

Currently I'm doing my (2nd) college internship for a major lighting company. I've been here for about a month now and have already had opportunities to go and help with shows because, unsurprisingly, a lot of my coworkers are involved with the theaters here.

If you want to be designing shows on broadway then an EE degree isn't probably the best first step. But it certainly wont hold you back, and if you do go to school somewhere else I am sure there is a theatre there that would love your help.

I could not agree more with TuckerD. I am currently working on my masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering and I also work on our university's lighting crew. My background as an engineer has helped me so much as I've worked on the lighting crew. My engineering background helps me to troubleshoot problems and gives me a good workflow for approaching problems. I also believe that working in the theater has helped me be a better engineer as it has helped me to think a bit more creatively and out of the box. Some of my projects for my classes have been lighting related. (For example, I implemented a really simple DMX controller on a FPGA for a final project in a class)

Like TuckerD, I have had no problem finding opportunities to do theater. My main job at my university is on the lighting crew and I've had the opportunity to work on countless shows and to even tour internationally (incidentally, one of my tours last year took me to Merrit, which looks like it's not too far from where you are at!) with a couple of university dance groups. I believe that you can really do both and the experience you gain from one will help you out in the other.

I would definitely encourage you to look into schools that offer both an electronics program as well as a well supported theater program.

One last story. I went to LDI this last year and when I mentioned that I was an Electrical Engineering student, they immediately were more interested. Some even asked me to send them my resume. I would say that you would be very valuable and sought after with a technical background an engineering degree.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about balancing school and theater!

That makes sense. Not sure what I'd like to do yet, but my parents can pay for my undergraduate degree, so school is looking attractive. Thank you for the advice!

Then go get your EE or a ME. I wish I had gone to school and got my ME. If they are willing to pay for it no question do it. You might also find that doing R&D work for general industry a lot more satisfying...

My two cents.....

If you want to be in a situation where you can eventually be a TD, Project Manager or Production Manager go to school. Working in an oversight role does not require a degree but the course work will make a difference in your skill set to do so. Not to say you could do this without a degree but in my perception is that the world we live in is changeing as far as our industry specifically.

An aside, economically we have been moving towards an economy that is favoring those who are creatives and not so much generalists in an industry. I have seen this change in my I.A.T.S.E local and in various jobs I have done. Not to say you can make a living being a generalist but there is more of a demand for those who are in creative critical thinking roles, generalist will never go away but will be in less demand as we move into this century. While touring more and more touring stage hands have degrees, same thing on cruise ships, production companies and in various I.A.T.S.E locals. The demand for those who have the skill set and critical thinking skills to quickly step into a leadership role is increasing. Not to say a degree will do that for you but that is the trend I have seen.

I am not trying to be mean just being real, you do not have the experience coming out of high school to work in a situation where you would have a great quality of life. In my experience anyone trying to put you in that leadership role at the age with that limited experience is not looking out for your best interest, they want cheap labor. Again, I could be wrong but that is the case every time i have scene this scenario. Also at such a young age i doubt you have the life experience in how to manage a crew of people, again not being mean just real. When I was your age I was just learning how to balance a check book let alone a real world job where I could get fired.

I would recommend at minimum finish an undergrad and double major. get a degree in there but also in electrical, mechanical or structural engineering. Also possibly in business, one day your body will give out and you will either want to teach or work at a desk job. There is also the reality that you may find you want to move into something that is more fulfilling as a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back