Controlling 1-10v. Dimmers through an NSI DeMultipler with a myDMX 2.0 controller

I want to use my laptop to control 4 Four Channel ETA Dimmer Packs along side 16 RGB Led 64's
I have a NSI programmable Demultiplexer DMX 16 for the pars. I just purchased American Dj's myDMX 2.0 to control all of my lighting.
The techs at American Dj say it should not be a problem, but I have read conflicting information about how the amount of current sent from the NSI Demultiplexer as a board power source may affect the signal and the power used in DMX lighting box hooked to my laptop.. How do I achieve the ability to send a 0-10V. signal to the multiplexer without messing up my computer , and how can I achieve the desired results without spending a lot of money

I want to use my laptop to control 4 Four Channel ETA Dimmer Packs along side 16 RGB Led 64's
I have a NSI programmable Demultiplexer DMX 16 for the pars. I just purchased American Dj's myDMX 2.0 to control all of my lighting.
The techs at American Dj say it should not be a problem, but I have read conflicting information about how the amount of current sent from the NSI Demultiplexer as a board power source may affect the signal and the power used in DMX lighting box hooked to my laptop.. How do I achieve the ability to send a 0-10V. signal to the multiplexer without messing up my computer , and how can I achieve the desired results without spending a lot of money
The power for the LED PAR s comes not from the ETA shoebox dimmers but from a non-dimmed source such as a wall receptacle. Dimmers are used to control incandescent fixtures only.

For 120V power, you'll need 1+4+16 outlet s (laptop+dimmer packs+LED fixture s).
For DMX control, the signal path would be
Laptop->USB-DMX dongle->DMX16 demux->LED Par#1->Par#2->...->Par#16->terminator, DMX.
Four 5-conductor analog cables would come out of the NSI programmable Demultiplexer DMX 16 and go to each 4 Four Channel ETA Dimmer Pack. You can then plug in up to 16 (depending on wattage) incandescent lights into the 4x4 dimmers. If you have no incandescent lights, both the NSI programmable Demultiplexer DMX 16 and the 4 Four Channel ETA Dimmer Packs are unnecessary.

EDIT: Nevermind. In this application, the NSI programmable Demultiplexer DMX 16 is totally useless to you (since it demultiplexes Microplex, not DMX512), as are the Four Channel ETA Dimmer Packs without an appropriate DMX-to-analog protocol converter.
This is a case where the name can be very confusing the DMX is not the Protocol DMX but rather DEMULTIPLEXER it is a device that allows for the NSI console using MPX protocol to control an old 0-10volt analog dimmer. It is NOT a DMX device. ...
----
Did you not post this same topic two days ago?
Yes, he did; see http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/27171-eta-dimmer-packs.html#post267941 posts 18-23. As a moderator, I likely confused the issue by combining threads of similar topic(s).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back