Controlling projection from ETC Gio.

TheTheaterGeek

EOS Addict
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
We are going to be using heavy projection fx in the upcoming production. Our last one we used QLab and an operator and then our computer basically mangled the ouput. We have since gotten a mac pro. Anyway, the question is, can I control our mac pro running QLab using output(MIDI, SMTPE, DMX) from our Gio? Basically running the Mac like a media server.

Absolutely. QLab will respond to MIDI (either "musical" MIDI or MIDI Show Control), OSC, and timecode. So you've got options!

By the way, it seems to be more standard to use QLab to fire lighting consoles than the other way around. You may want to consider going in the other direction because you will get more programming flexibility in terms of timing within QLab than on the Gio and you may find it easier to make programming changes.

I'll second the idea that QLab should be the one firing the console. I put all my dance shows and a lot of complex theatrical cues into show control, last job Alcorn McBride, currently QLab. A show controller is made to be flexible and control other devices, a Gio is meant to control lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back