Control/Dimming Converting DMX to Micro-Plex

it only required a single 8-pin chip (a 75176 if your interested - about $1.00-$1.25 each)
I'm trying to do the same thing with a dds-6000. I've been looking through these forums and have found these numbers for the chip; 485, 3695, and 75176. I've found each of those on Mouser but have no idea which to buy. Can you point me in the direction of the correct chip? I would appreciate it so much.

I did a quick check of the data sheets for the DS3695N/NOPB, the SN75176BP and the MAX485CPA+ chips on the Mouser site and they all appear to be "RS-422/RS-485 Interface IC" chips with the same pinouts. The manufacturers just are using their own part numbering. I use the SN75176 but I've also used the MAX485 parts in the past and both work just fine.
Before you order make sure you're ordering the correct 'package'. Most units of that vintage had 8 pin IC sockets for 'thru-hole' parts (rather than the newer surface mount chips) that let you insert/replace the chip without needing to de-solder/solder anything.
Feel free to e-mail if you think I can be of further assistance (I've been neglecting visiting Control Booth lately).

If you have NSI MPX dimmers I have seen in some cases that it is literally as simple as adding a DMX port on the dimmers. I also like the I/F 501, I use it to go DMX to Leprecon MPX and it can do a lot of other neat stuff.

Ya gotta love this site. I just found out that the show I'm doing next week, is in a venue that has an NSI board & dimmer packs. I use a laptop with QLC+ & an Enttec OpenDMX USB Dongle.

Thanks to the information here, I went looking for, and found a Leviton I/F 501 on ebay for $127.99. I'm all set for Monday morning.

Thanks to all who are so willing to share their knowledge.

For less money but more work, this might do the job:
http://www.snowcrest.net/engdahl/DMX.html

I know some people here frown on using Arduino's for stage controls. I wouldn't use them for medical devices (DIY insulin regulators for example), but for other purposes I consider them reliable enough and have never seen them fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back