Correct way to hang an ERS

So why do you feel that the whip should be coiled on the outside? I've never liked it on the outside because I have found that it frequently comes loose and then I'm dragging a whip behind me all of a sudden.

I've only done it Derek's way or coiling it up on a S4 ERS prior to pointing it vertically when striking it. The insulated handle prevents it from coming loose above and the yoke prevents it from unwinding itself. This obviously shifts the hanging order around a bit, but it does not slow anything down. Essentially, you just rough focus it prior to plugging it in. I've also never had a problem with focus slack since it is already roughed in prior to cabling and dressing everything.

Also, I'd add idiot checking everything during step 1. While checking to see if the fixture is correct, check if it has all of its pieces. I can't tell you how many retaining bolts have been missing from fixtures or how many accessory slot (gates?) were missing entirely. I couldn't even begin to explain where they went or how they disappeared, but they were issues that needed to be addressed prior to hanging the fixture. While not as big of a deal anymore since S4 ERS shutters don't easily slide out, older fixtures could easily be missing entire shutters as well. After all, Grog never specifically dictated the brand and age of the ERS.

Most trusses I hang I do not have a hang plot. Even the theatre productions I do in my arena we are hanging day of show under direction of the head electrician. I prefer wrapping the whip around the body, it stores in the meat racks better. The part about dressing the cable but not capturing the whip is vital. I can't tell you how many times I have been on a truss or in a basket and haven't had enough whip to focus. As noted above some LDs want the light left straight down so the whip needs to be free.It also makes me nuts to see a light go in the air and and not have the shutters pulled. Lastly make sure you teach the hands to loosen the handle when adjusting the light up and down.

Wait a second we missed step 1.5 check for clamp directionality (so that the claps on the baton are all in a uniform direction) This is where I tell you to take pride in your work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back