Creating a Clock

JSHannah

Hello,

I'm doing research on how we would construct a particular kind of controllable clock we are interested in building for a production opening in early October of this year. We would like to create a clock with hands and a pendulum, the exact type is unknown and flexible at this point, that we can control, ideally through our lighting console, or through some other form of programable control.

Our idealized version would allow the clock to function thusly:

We would like the hands to be able to function relatively well as a time keeping device, so once we set it for the time the clock is supposed to represent in the play we would like it to be able to function as a normal clock. (this element is certainly flexible, as there are justifications on why the clock might not be set or keep the proper time)

We would like to be able to stop and start the clock on command. This includes both the hands, and the pendulum, which would ideally be separately controlled.

We would like to be able to program the controls to move the hands rapidly to a specified position on the face of the clock. IE if we stopped the clock at 4:00 we'd like to be able to program the controls to then move rapidly to 6:00, just as an example. This is again a flexible element as the visually important thing we are going for is that the clock can start and stop on command, but since we have the time we'd like to explore if this is possible.

I personally have little direct experience with robotics or micro controllers, though I am a quick study. We currently have a large number of RC4 Wireless 4-dim Wireless dimmers in our inventory, and are using an ETC Ion for our control console. We also have PCs available that could be used to run particular control software if required.

I believe these effects could be achieved though the use of Servo Motors, controlled by our RC4 dimmers and battery power, but I'm uncertain of where to begin the research of this project and would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back